This is the Message Centre for NPY

Music and stuff

Post 1

NPY

Why do people HAVE to have a favourite in everything? You can't just like a band, you have to have a favourite member, song and album. My parents are always on at my because I say I like lots of things equally. Isn't that better?
I like Queen and the Beatles and S Club 7 and Robbie Williams, but I have to like one of them the best. Why, I ask you, why????

Music and stuff

Post 2

Kaz

I know what you mean. I like so much music that its really difficult to pick a favorite anyway, so thats my excuse!
I don't know about you, but I have some cd's that I play much more often than others. And I go through phases of liking some music for ages and playing it over and over, and then I'll go on to something else.

Music and stuff

Post 3

NPY

I totally agree. Finally I'm not the only person who does that. Thank you.
So who do you like? How long's the list?

Music and stuff

Post 4

AlienTourist

I never ask people anymore what music they like, because everyone will always answer 'oh, a bit of everything.' Instead I ask, 'what did you listen to today' or 'what was the last cd you bought' or 'what is in your stereo'

Someone asked me for a list of my top ten bands recently, I wrote -

I can't do a Top Ten bands, too many issues. But I can do a Top Ten albums off the top of my head. There's a few below where I don't really like the band but I love that one album.

1 Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking
2 Swans - White Light from the Mouth of Infinity
3 Mary My Hope - Museum
4 Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace With God
5 Velvet Underground - the one with the banana
6 The Clash - London Calling
7 Flaming Lips - In a Priest Driven Ambulance
8 Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
9 Stone Roses - self titled
10 Slint - Spiderland
Honorable mentions
Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power
Circus Lupus - Supergenius
Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennae to the Heaven
Sinead O' Connor - The Lion & the Cobra
Coldplay - Parachutes
Suede - self-titled
Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
Pink Floyd - Final Cut

Music and stuff

Post 5

Kaz

Hello. Sorry about the lateish reply. You asked me to name a few bands/artists. Here are some I like, just off the top of my head:
Sting/The Police
Richard Marx
Crowded House/Neil Finn
Simon and Garfunkel
Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry
Queen
John Denver
Nik Kershaw
Wet Wet Wet.
Dire Straits

Allsorts really. smiley - smiley

Music and stuff

Post 6

AlienTourist

Tsk tsk, Kaz. You can't say all sorts when you listed mostly mainstream 80s mellow pop. If it was really all sorts you would have thrown in some classical, jazz, reggae and maybe some obscure german electronica.

As I read my post, I scold myself for being a pedantic musical snob.smiley - yuk

Music and stuff

Post 7

Kaz

Okay, Okay, my excuse is, I was brought up with it! So there! (only joking!) I added John Denver didn't I? Thats country! I like quite a lot of the new country guys like Nickel Creek actually, though I haven't got any of their albums. Lonestar are quite good.
Now, thinking about it, I add to my list, Bob Dylan, cos I've liked his stuff for ages, Phil Collins, and Marillion. Yes, I know those 2 are eighties pop again, but I've just bought a Marillion album in the sales and its really good! smiley - smiley

Music and stuff

Post 8

NPY

Ok, that's scary. I don't know half of that. Eeeeekkkk!

Music and stuff

Post 9

NPY

It's ok, I'm siding with Kaz on this one

Music and stuff

Post 10

AlienTourist

Hey Not Panicing, there's no issue here to side on (I think). Taste in music is just that, and it doesn't have to mean anything.
I'm impressed that you know half my list though. I have a preference for moody obscure indy music, and I'd never inflict that on anyone else smiley - biggrin.

Music and stuff

Post 11

Kaz

ha ha!!!! glad I've got your support Not Panicking. (that's not to say I haven't got everyone else's here)you like Marillion then?

Music and stuff

Post 12

NPY

well Kaz it's ok - I likw quite a few of the people you've mentioned.
The question is, do all Hitchhiker fans like Dire Straits? And if so, do they like them because of Hitchhiker or did they like them anyway? I think I only knew 2 of there songs before, but I got their greatest hits CD a couple of Xmas's ago and I know more now.

Music and stuff

Post 13

Kaz

sorry, what has Dire Straits got to do with Hitchhikers? Can you explain? I seem to have missed something.smiley - smiley

Music and stuff

Post 14

NPY

have you read So Long And thanks For All The Fish??
They're mentionned in it. Don't want to give anything away if you haven't read it. But I reccommend that you do.

Music and stuff

Post 15

Kaz

Have read it, twice! Don't remember them actually mentioning the band, unless I am being slow and you meant that they were always in Dire...Ohhh yes, I remember! The Sony Walkman thing!!!!!!!! ' How on earth did I forget that!!!!!'laughs'.smiley - smiley

Music and stuff

Post 16

Kaz

No, I've got it wrong. It wasn't that bit. before that, a few pages back. I've checked my book.
Kaz. smiley - smiley

Music and stuff

Post 17

Kaz

anyway, back to the music... smiley - smiley

Music and stuff

Post 18

NPY

I can't believe you forgot that bit!!! I went on at my friend for weeks cos she hadn't got thaat far.
Anyway, they're not too bad you know.

Music and stuff

Post 19

Kaz

I can't believe I forgot That Bit either!!!! Dire Straits are quite good, yes I'm not a huge fan, but I do like their stuff.

Music and stuff

Post 20

NPY

the question is, what song was it Aurther was playing?? Romeo and Julliette??

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for NPY

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more