A Conversation for The h2g2 Doctor Who Group

Torchwood - New Format

Post 1

Bright Blue Shorts

"The new series of sci-fi show Torchwood will follow a single adventure instead of individual storylines, the BBC says."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7582511.stm

(Just thought I'd post this here as its a Dr Who spinoff and might be of interest).

Torchwood - New Format

Post 2

Jemstone

Thanks Bright Blue Shorts, I'm always after info on my other favourite show. Is it only a 5 part season? I hope it's going to be more!

Torchwood - New Format

Post 3

van-smeiter

I'd heard that it would also be shown on five consecutive nights, monday to friday. I heard this a while back and it might have been a rumour so don't take my word for it. However, Torchwood is moving to BBC1 and I think the beeb had some success with 'Criminal justice' (which ran for one week, mon-fri) so it may be a tactic to grab the nine o'clock audience on a friday night?

I'll be happy to see it back because I thought the latter half of season two was great and i think the show has found its feet.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 4

eloisa

I know they want a big 'event' but I really don't like the idea of cramming a whole series into a week. Don't they reaslise I need things to look forward to? I want a 13 episode series followed by the same of Doctor Who followed by classic reruns. Repeat as necessary!
And if I don't get it I shall sthcweam and scthweam until I'm thick!!

Sorry.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 5

NPY

Sounds like the continuing story should be good, but I really hope they don't try and squash it into one week. Think they'll loose people. Dunno bout you lot, but I do things in evenings and don't want to have to be taping something each nicht I'm out and then havcing to hurry and watch it coz the next episode's on the next day. Know that sounds bonkers, but it works better an episode a week.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 6

Mister Matty

>Think they'll loose (sic) people

I'm not sure they care that much. I think the third series of "Torchwood" will be the last, despite it being a reasonable success the BBC don't seem sure what to do with it or who to aim it at. The first series was intended for adults (in theory at least), the second series had both an adult and a family cut and the third series will, allegedly, be suitable for a family audience full-stop. I think the BBC were uncomfortable at cutting-off a large part of "Who"'s audience from "Torchwood" and have been trying to fit them back in against Davies (in my intention correct) instinct that "Torchwood" should be an adult show.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 7

Mister Matty

For "intention" read "opinion".

*usual request for an edit feature*

Torchwood - New Format

Post 8

NPY

Interesting. The definate idea for Torchwood was to be more for the grown-ups while Sarah-Jane was a definate kids spin-off. Have to admit I'm not sure how it worked having the 2 versions in the last series. Never watched the family version to compare. But if it works, why not.

Though it's great to have the "grown up" Dr Who spin off too. Esoecially as so many of the fans are people who've been following it since the start anyway.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 9

Jemstone

I'm with you guys, I would prefer one ep a week (and more than 5 of them) so that I have something to look forward to each week. Where would we be without 6 days of speculation on the boards about what happens next!? That's half the fun of this place for me smiley - tongueout

I thought the more grown up element of it really worked, and gave it the individuality that set it apart. We all know that Torchwood is a spin off of DW, it doesn't need to be more family friendly to remind people. I love the fact that it pushed the boundaries sometimes and challenged people.

Hey eloisa, you are showing your age with sthcweam and scthweam until I'm thick! ...as am I for remembering it too, tee hee smiley - laugh
smiley - run

Torchwood - New Format

Post 10

eloisa

I guess it doesn't make a difference what we think eh?
*sulk*

Oh, and Jem? Watch it!!
smiley - kiss

Torchwood - New Format

Post 11

NPY

Well it might. We could bombard them with emails and stuff. And who knows - they could be smiley - lurk round this thread.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 12

eloisa

Hello.

Please don't show 'em all in a bunch like that.

Don't make it all child friendly, you'll spoil 'em.

More boys kissing!

Um, I'm good.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 13

Jemstone

Yeah, what eloisa said please BBC lovelies!
smiley - winkeye

Torchwood - New Format

Post 14

Alfster

This is old news. Not sure why they have made a new news item about it. Possibly due to Frema Agna-thingy leaving to go to the ITV after the scrpit for Torchwood had been written that she was suppsoed to be in.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 15

eloisa

Has she? Blimey, what a little minx!!

Torchwood - New Format

Post 16

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

The problem with Davies making it "adult" meant for "about sex"....

And that was about it, it wasn't adult it was purile... I couldn't manage to sit through the second series, I gave up becuase I ofund it so unbearable.....

Torchwood - New Format

Post 17

Jim Lynn

And yet the second series was far less puerile than the first, I thought.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 18

Alfster

I saw the circus one which was very good.

TD shot his bolt though for me and after the first few spisodes of the series I stopped watching as it was still sex sex sex etc.

RTD really needs to learn what 'adult' means i.e. Babylon 6, the later series of Buufy and Angel, Blakes 7 even(a series about anti-heroes), Heroes, but he just went for swearing and sex..hmmmm.

They would have been good if it hadn;t been for that

Torchwood - New Format

Post 19

NPY

Freema went to ITV? Never heard that, though haven't checked the website in a while.

Torchwood - New Format

Post 20

Jozcoz

I herd that, but about season 3 I say if it aint broke don't fix it!

Key: Complain about this post