This is the Message Centre for Evangeline

Three forms of I.D.

Post 1

Evangeline

I read this on the BBC News site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19429409

This topic has come up recently at work and with a group of friends. None of us see a problem with requiring an I.D. to vote.

This is why: An official birth certificate from the hall of records in whichever state is $15:00. This official copy is required to obtain a driver's license in order to legally drive a vehicle (as young as 16, used to be 15).

Social Security I.D. numbers are now assigned at birth. You must have one to work because of taxes. I received mine at 14.

Obtaining a driver's license requires passing the written and driving part of the test and three forms of I.D. Official Birth certificate, Social Security Card, Student I.D., Yearbooks, diploma, job I.D., are acceptable.

With 5 forms of I.D. you can get a passport.

In 18 years that costs:
Social Security I.D. number free on birth
Birth certificate $15.00
School I.D. free or $5.00 depending on school.
Driver's license: varies in this parish it's currently $25.00
Other option from DMV, the non driving I.D. card requires no test: $15.00
Diploma: Pass your classes
Job I.D., required for some jobs and free
EBT card: qualify and have a Social Security I.D. number.
Take any 5 and $150.00 get a passport...

It's not an extra expense to get an I.D. to vote. Especially if they drove themselves to the poll (legally).

Three forms of I.D.

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Drivers' licenses are usually enough identification for most purposes. My passport needs to be updated as part of the planning process for next summer's your of Latvia, Estonia, and Saint Petersburg. The hardest part is usually finding a photographer for the photo.

Three forms of I.D.

Post 3

Evangeline

Driver's license is a valid picture I.D. here too. It takes three forms of I.D. to get that plus a driving test.

Are they pushing for a specific voting I.D.? I thought it was just for a picture I.D. and maybe social security number at the poll. An LSU I.D. card should do because it's tied to your social security number, student number and has a picture.

Walgreen's does the passport photos. I know someone who treats the city where I live like a third world country because it's not Baton Rouge. He went all over Baton Rouge looking for the post office that did passport photos. Can you guess where this is going? The post office three miles up the hwy from my house is the, yes THE post office that does that. I was told they just need two identical photos. Is your tour a vacation or a choir trip?

Three forms of I.D.

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My tour is a choral group trip. I've already started having nightmares in which I get separated from my group and get lost in a country where nobody speaks my language.smiley - yikes

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Evangeline

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more