This is the Message Centre for Evangeline

Another day at the office

Post 1

Evangeline

I work with someone who does some really strange things some of the, well most of the time. Most of what involves me, I just ignore.

The thing I can't figure out is this: This person will do something that seems to be done solely to be told off for doing it. Is that passive aggressive or something else?

I'm not talking about kids on a playground, no matter how much it feels that way. This is a work place environment mostly involving people 24 to 50+.

Post 2

Taff at home

do they have OCD????

smiley - bat

Post 3

Evangeline

Not that I know of.

There are and have been staff members with A.D.D. and/or A.D.H.D. and dyslexia and one with OCD.

Post 4

Taff at home

what strange things do they do???

smiley - bat

Post 5

Evangeline

How much time have you got?

Making rude gestures behind people when they walk past. Bows and does this ZZ Top sort of *flourish* when passing someone in the hall. Lurks and peeks down the aisles instead of just walking down the aisle or past the end of the aisle in the first place.

There's much more... peeled a bumper sticker off a co worker's car and replaced it with something different. Locked out a few co workers when they stepped outside for various reasons. Locked someone in the office on purpose.

That's nowhere near the half of it.

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The place where I worked canned somebody for stuff less serious than what your co-worker has done. Locking someone in an office is pretty bad, particularly when there is no apparent reason for it.

Post 7

Taff at home

do you want rid of him?? or do you want him to stop??

smiley - bat

Post 8

Evangeline

Ideally, I'd prefer him gone before someone gets hurt.

I'm open to suggestions for making him stop as well.

Post 9

Geggs

It sounds like he thinks he's try to be funny. But it also sounds like a very idiosyncratic sense of humour...

Geggs

Post 10

Taff at home

collect evidence

video him playing the fool

complain about him!

if you want him to stop show him the evidence

if you want him gone show the boss the evidence

smiley - bat

Post 11

Evangeline

One of his favorite excuses is 'it's just a joke'. Really? How come no one is laughing?

I don't see the humor in having someone older enough to be my father acting like a twelve year old trying to disrupt everyone's day. It really incenses me when the target is a minor.

Post 12

Evangeline

It would have to be hidden cameras because he hides or ducks behind something to avoid cameras and even phones without cameras.

Post 13

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Well, on one level he seems to be trying to call people's attention to him. Maybe he was neglected or blown off as a child. How often are you the target of his "humor?" From what you've described, he respects *some* boundaries based on the amount of damage people can do to him. Younger people (especially minors) can't or won't fight back because it would be a minor's word against an adult.

It sounds as though you aren't his target very much if at all.

Post 14

Evangeline

I get the *flourish* and fanfare every time I pass him in the hall, which is several times a day.

No clue if he still does the gestures behind me as he does to most people. I don't look over my shoulder because some days I don't care and other days I'd be really tempted to make a scene myself and I'm not taking his bait.

After the worst of things aimed at me, I told the boss 'This time, I called you. I have no problem with calling the police instead'. I know a stern talking to followed, no idea what it included.

Am I right in assuming that people who do things like this probably would not handle it well if everyone decided to either 'reply in kind' or blow up at them?

Post 15

Taff at home

""I get the *flourish* and fanfare every time I pass him in the hall, which is several times a day. ""

turn around and walk passed him, again and again, he will soon get tired of doing it

smiley - bat

Post 16

Evangeline

We have done the two and three at a time parade through the hall to the front office and back.

About a month ago, he told me 'FYI, you should tell M___ that I have a knife too.'. I asked 'are you threatening?' to get 'oh no, but you should tell him.'. I answered with 'Tell him yourself.'. He did. The 'joke' was that his swiss army knife won't open. See, that's the kind of thing that someone is going to take the exact wrong way.

I have a utility knife for work because we open and break down boxes.

Post 17

Taff at home

invite him for a drink after work and then 'outside of office hours'

lay it all out for him

you can then use nice terms like him being a contration of richard and how his behaviour gets right on your mammarys

and how if he carries on you are going to kick hin in the legumes that jimmy carter grew"!!!!!

smiley - bat

Post 18

Evangeline

He doesn't drink alcohol and won't accept food or beverages from anyone, not even the 'free lunch' from our Café.

Post 19

Taff at home

does he socialize with work collegues at all???

smiley - bat

there is a 'fast show' character he sound like, i'll go dig aboutsmiley - ok

Post 20

Taff at home

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/colin_hunt.shtml

try looking him up on youtube and tell me is there any correlation

smiley - bat

Key: Complain about this post