This is the Message Centre for Evangeline

The monsters are no longer in the closet.

Post 1

Evangeline

Problem is, I can't tell which one is worse: The media, the lawyers or the defendant.

Today, Casey Anthony was found not guilty of murdering her daughter, Caylee. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14036316 Honestly, this has been on the news so much over the last several months, that I quit paying attention to it a long time ago.

The media over hyped this case so much (as they did with all things OJ related) that the coverage became at best numbing and at worst disgusting a long time ago.

The lawyers were too interested in winning and not really concerned with finding the truth.

The defendant... well, to find her guilty would be to admit that monsters really do exist and they can be anywhere.

Post 2

Geggs

Interesting. To be honest, your post was the first time I've actually come across anything about this case. I guess we've just not been interested on this side of the pond.

The circumstantial evidence does seem to point in a certain direction, but not enough to specifically point out the killer. I mean, yes, there's an inference that you can draw, but inference is not "beyond all reasonably doubt".

There simply isn't enough proof in this case, by the looks of things.

Geggs

Post 3

Evangeline

Casey went missing three years ago.

For a long time, every night, there was something on the news, CNN, MSNBC or somewhere, usually with scrolling captions and video. I think it was Nancy Grace who did an entire week of prime time special coverage (with no new news to report). The only night I watched any of that was the night they found her remains. It was aired live while the police were digging. Ten minutes was about my limit.

My opinion is that kind of constant coverage is really detrimental to actually finding the truth.

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm not sure the defendant's elevator goes all the way to the top floor. Beyond that, I don't find the case all that interesting because there's not much to be learned that might come in handy in the future. The publicity from the trial is likely to scare away any men who might be interested in her as the mother of their future children. Yes, there may be some disturbed men who would give it a try, but why would she want to risk going through another painful trial if another child comes to grief? Despite the acquital, she will probably find people scrutinizing her more than they did before she became so famous. This may be hard for her to take.

Post 5

Evangeline

The defendant's sentencing for lying to the police is tomorrow.

My facebook list had a few 'leave your porchlight on to remember Caylee' posts last night. And no, I don't do those things just because someone somewhere said so.

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Neither do I, Evangeline.

I'm sorry that *any* little kids die horrible deaths. Any big kids, too. Somehow it does seem that the media pay the most attention to the ones that were cute and photogenic. Should the people who murder cute kids get harsher punishment than the ones who murder plain or unattractive ones? Judging by the number of people who have gotten worked up about this, you'd think there were folks who think this. I hope I'm wrong.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Evangeline

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more