This is the Message Centre for Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Chicken math

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

What on smiley - earth is chicken math? Basically, it's a way to count your flock that makes it smaller than a non-chicken person would think. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/472434/what-is-chicken-math (42 posts long as of this journal posting) explains it in post 2--though 26 is even bettersmiley - laugh The basic postulates are that anything other than a full-sized laying hen doesn't fully count, and some chickens don't count at allsmiley - winkeye Of course, it's probably safe to assume that zoning laws use normal counting, not chicken mathsmiley - sigh

So why do I bring up chicken math now? Well, in the morning, the non-avian females of the paper clan will be heading down to a chicken show and quite possibly bringing home additional flock members. I've got a quarantine pen almost finished (the birds can stay in the garage for the couple days needed for me to finish construction--weather and non-chicken-related things have conspired to keep me from doing the bits of construction that need to happen outside). The pen will be large enough for a maximum of 3 birds, which will bring our flock total, after integration in a month or 2, to 8, and will allow me to add 3 more birds in the future to reach the zone limit of 11.

Chicken math

Post 2

Witty Moniker

Are you planning on selling eggs or will the whole family be taking Lipitor? smiley - winkeye

Chicken math

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I believe I read that eggs do not contribute to raised cholesterols smiley - winkeye

And it seems like chicken math might be related to Bistromathics.

smiley - towel

Chicken math

Post 4

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Backyard eggs are lower in cholesterol and higher in some vitamins, as well as, usually Omega-3s. Probably the bugs and such (including the salamander that Souffle caught and ate the other day. Don't believe anyone that claims chickens are vegetarians!)

Chicken math

Post 5

I was unaware that chickens did math, but unsurprised that the math they did was something of the variety, "You don't count!" "Oh, yeah? Well, you don't count either!"

Chicken math

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

Your diet will have no effect on your cholesterol levels since one of the main functions of your liver is to keep your cholesterol level at what your body thinks is the optimal level for you, as an individual.

If you eat less cholesterol, your liver will produce more.
If you eat loads of cholesterol, your liver will produce less.

The idea that eating too many eggs isn't good for you is a myth.

Chicken math

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Egg-actly... eggs are good.... Occasionally we are 'told' they're bad... but nowdays moreoften thatn not, the 'good' prevails as the RP on it smiley - zen

Any plans to get ducks? smiley - biggrin hmmm.... if chickens are that* mean at counting each other.... I guess they just ignore or totally dis-coutn anything like ducks... smiley - laughsmiley - silly

1 chicken, plus 1 chicken, plus 2 chickens = 2 chickens smiley - zensmiley - silly

Chicken math

Post 8

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Egg yolk is a good source of Vitamin K2, which is good for the skin. That's why I try to eat an egg or two per week. Plus, they're tasty smiley - drool, which is probably the real reason smiley - winkeye. Whatever the scientists tell you to eat or not eat now will likely be contradicted a couple of decades from now anyway -- not that that matters if you be gone before then.

An alternative reading of the subject line is that you should speak softly to numbers. If you holler at them, 2 and 2 may be afraid to become 4, and then where will we all be? smiley - zen

Chicken math

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

There arn't many weeks I don't eat my way through half a dozen eggs... and quite often they're very large duck eggs smiley - laughsmiley - blushsmiley - friedegg of course... Its probably not compulsory to have quite* as much butter as I often do, with my eggs... and bacon... smiley - laughsmiley - friedegg

Chicken math

Post 10

Well, both chicken math and normal counting will agree as to how many chickens we brought home today: 0 smiley - sigh There were no females of any of the breeds I was wanting for sale. So that was 210 miles (round trip) wasted, as well as 3 trips to the dump for wood, hours of sawing, and several nights in the garage assembling panels utterly wasted. But, hey, at least when we do get a chance to get more chickens, I've got the quarantine pen ready to assemble (designed it to break down and store when we're not using it). And I got a free calendar. Whoop-de-doo.

Key: Complain about this post