This is the Message Centre for Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Settling in

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Man, it's nice sitting in a room bigger than our entire former home...

I started typing this over in the atelier, but decided not to take it over--any salonistas interested in this stuff can quite easily pop over here, and any who aren't don't have to politely ignore mesmiley - tongueout

We've not been doing as much packing-hauling-unpacking as we really should've been--half of our clothes are still in the trailer. But we have gone from totally unfurnished to fairly well furnished for free, though the dining room table and chairs are borrowed from the bookstore, and we're borrowing air mattresses from a friend. Beds are really the only major pieces of furniture we still need, though. Plus, we scored a washer and dryer set for $25. That's for both, not each! Nice looking set, too--I'd thought they were going to be dinged up and/or rusty, but they're not. They work well, too--the dryer doesn't shut itself off, but for $12.50, I can watch the time and turn it off myself. So what if I can't toss underwear and towels in and then go to bed with the dryer running?

I do have pictures on my phone, and I will be putting them up online somewhere that's not Facebook so that anyone can see them--I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I may even make a point to take pictures of the mystery plants, though a couple have been identified by chatting with neighbors (I didn't know that there was a variety of clematis with flowers that look like dogwood, but at least I know I can hack that back to my heart's content without killing it so I can actually get to the greenhouse...) We've (well, I have, but Tom likes my choices) figured out what we want to do painting-wise, when we get around to it (which I keep saying should be before we're fully furnished and unpacked, and Tom keeps pointing out that there are other monetary priorities than paint right now). Bailing out the pond (did I mention there's a small pond with a waterfall, though the pump doesn't work? Looks like the basin is a repurposed small bathtub, filled-in drain and all) turned into rescuing tadpoles, which of course takes longer that just tossing buckets of water on the grass, but we now have a pond filled with not-disgusting water, with tadpoles. Notepad has already taken a header into the pond, when it *did* have the disgusting water (though the dead snake turned out to be a rope and the dead turtle was plasticsmiley - blush) and she went wading while we were filling the pond with the hose yesterday after scrubbing it out, so fencing is going to be procured ASAP.

We had a combination Thank You and Housewarming party yesterday, and I think there were between 20 and 30 people over yesterdaysmiley - yikes We actually had leftovers for lunch today, though, and there are still leftovers in the fridge.

Settling in

Post 2

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

We'd made a point of telling folks to just bring themselves, but we now have a lovely fuschia hanging by the door, a 42-piece storage set and a gallon pitcher (OK, OK, it was a 40 piece set and an additional bowl-and-lid, but it's the same manufacturer and style, so it counts smiley - tongueout), and this really pretty black steel arch thing with 5 pans that can hold candles or candy dishes or whatever, with 3 magnetic cutwork panels that can be switched out with the seasons.

Oh, and tomorrow our bathroom ceiling will be fixed and paid for by the former owner. The ceiling over the bathtub fell down the first night we slept here (no one was in the bathroom, though my plans for taking a shower here that night were cancelled...) Turned out there was a small hole in the roof, and wet sheetrock is heavy and weak...

Settling in

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

smiley - yikes at caved in ceiling! I hope the roof is waterproofed now, so it won't happen again!

I'm so happy to hear you are doing well in your new home, and I wish you all the luck and happiness you find!

smiley - towel

Settling in

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - applause

Settling in

Post 5

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Yay for Amy's new home.

and yay to previous owner fixing the ceiling.

I hope you all will be extremely happy there smiley - hug

Settling in

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - applausewell done!

Settling in

Post 7

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Congrats! :D

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more