This is the Message Centre for Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Fudge!

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Or not.

Y'see, this week has been a big paperwork deadline week for me. And of course, a big candy-giving day is coming up after the weekend. We've a craft fair venue tomorrow, and I haven't had time to make fudge until last night. I got 20 pounds made last night. This morning, I was using the last of my sweetened condensed milk to make a triple batch of cookies-and-cream fudge, 1 pound of which was already ordered. A triple batch yields about 6 pounds, and requires my using my smallish double boiler and a bowl in my microwave, which holds twice as much stuff to melt. This particular flavor of fudge uses white chocolate, which for some unknown-to-me reason, takes longer to melt than semi-sweet and milk chocolate. Long enough that, this morning, the double batch in the microwave boiled over and the 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk burnt before the white chocolate was meltedsmiley - steam $10 worth of ingredients, $40 worth of sellable product, all over the bottom of the microwave and having to be poured away into the trashsmiley - grrsmiley - wah This is the first time I've burnt any of my fudge, and I've been using this method the whole time I've been making fudge. At least the stuff in the double boiler was fine, so I can fill my order.

But smiley - bleep it, it really hurts losing that much money right now!

Fudge!

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

OUCH! smiley - bruised

The Fudge Gods are weeping now, surely.

smiley - hug

Fudge!

Post 3

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Before anyone asks--yes, it was burnt past calling it toffee fudge or caramel fudge--I tasted it before I dumped it.

Fudge!

Post 4

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

Aw man, that sucks. smiley - hug It's not just the loss of time and money - it's having to throw out so much food. I always hate that. Feels so wasteful.

If it makes you feel better, I killed our 32-year-old Kenwood mixer today. Smoke out of the engine and everything. Might have saved the dough I was making it, but will have to wait and see how well it rises.

Fudge!

Post 5

Lady Pennywhistle - Back with a vengeance! [for a certain, limited value of Vengeance; actual amounts of Vengeance may vary]

...the dough I was making *in* it, of course.

Fudge!

Post 6

Willem

Hi there Amy! I'm really sorry to hear you lost so much fudge! I also don't at all like 'wasting' food ... and I like fudge a lot! Hope you learn from this mistake and keep all your fudge in the future!

Fudge!

Post 7

It really hurts when you don't have extra time in which to start over from scratch, and money is tight as well. smiley - hug

Fudge!

Post 8

Hypatia

That's a shame, Amy.smiley - hug I've had misfortunes like that in the past where all I accomplished was to waste my ingredients. It's no fun, especially when you're on a tight budget.

Fudge!

Post 9

I probably shouldn't talk about the time I tried to roast a duck in a toaster oven. First problem: the duck wouldn't fit. Undeterred, I cut it in two and put the halves in two toaster ovens. That ensured that *both* of my toaster ovens would end up with thick layers of duck grease in them. smiley - yuk

Fudge!

Post 10

Hypatia

Duck will definitely make a mess inside any oven unless it's covered. I hope it tasted good at least.

My latest disaster was just last night. I intended to make shrimp scampi but discovered I didn't have any lemons or even bottled lemon jiuce. So I decided to make an alfredo sauce for the shrimp and pasta instead. Well, the sauce separated. I suppose it tasted good enough, but I hated the texture. I sent the rest of it home with Syn. He isn't as particular as I am. And this way |I don't fel like I've easted my ingredients like I would have if the leftovers had all gone in the trash.

Fudge!

Post 11

Come to think of it, some my experiments have crashed (but not burned) too, Hypatia. Last weekend I tried using black beans instead of peas in paella. it wasn't actually bad, but peas would have tasted much better. smiley - doh

The duck turned out okay, but the ovens smelled of duck fat from then on. I think I got rid of one right away, but used the other after removing as much grease as I could. smiley - erm. It was a valuable learning lesson, coming when I was much younger.

Fudge!

Post 12

Hypatia

Duck is definitely too expensive to throw away. But then so are toaster ovens.

I'm usually good with alfredo sauce. I don't know what I did wrong.

Fudge!

Post 13

I'm sorry, Amy. I hate throwing out food so much I have burst into tears during the act of disposing of ruined foodstuffs. smiley - wah

Fudge!

Post 14

I get very upset if I drop a glass decanter full of freshly brewed coffee. smiley - wah

Key: Complain about this post