A Conversation for The H2G2 Programmers' Corner

No Subject

Post 1

Dancer (put your advert here)

OS2 was (is?) an operating system by IBM that was ran over by mirosoft's WFW (3.11 i think). It was a real good operating system with a nice interface, great communication and networking software (for the time it lived at) and REAL multithreading - that was hard to find at the time.

OS2 WARP was great but it failed in the attempt to compete against the M$ marketing devision smiley - tongueout and M$ pulled some stunts both IBM and the general market fell for.

***What did you program for OS2? Is it still alive somewhere?***

All I did for OS2 is long gone, as it was a communication protocol implementation for BBSes and a message board for BBSes... both OS2 and BBSes are dead...

May they rest in peace,

Yours,
smiley - hsif
Dancer

OS2

Post 2

Dancer (put your advert here)

Sorry for forgetting the subject smiley - grr stupid stupid stupid *hits head*

smiley - hsif
Dancer

OS2

Post 3

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

don't worry we all forget things.... smiley - winkeye

all well, I've looked into OS2 but would much prefere to stick with Linux and Win98SE, and as for the Mac OS I don't think much of that ether orthough that just maby the programmer in me speaking. smiley - winkeye

smiley - biggrin good to see you after a short break smiley - biggrin

-- DoctorMO --

OS2

Post 4

Hobbes - Keeper of Himself to Himself,(scout)

Ah OS2, now that takes me back. I used OS2 when it was the underlying operating system for the fledgling Microsoft Network operating system Lan Manager.

It came on 44 disks and took about six hours to install.

OS2

Post 5

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

As mentioned elsewhere, I have a big box of floppies and a manual, labelled "OS/2 Warp"... I haven't used them...

I made quite a lucrative career for myself about 5 years ago as one of the "elite few" who could remove the OS/2 Warp from Escom PCs without disabling the Windows for Workgroups... (It did involve an "upgrade install" of DR DOS v6... smiley - winkeye) Each uninstall earned me a meal and a few beers!

OS2

Post 6

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

well the way to go, learn an elit skill,

*Goes away to write that one down for later* smiley - winkeye

Thanks

-- DoctorMO --

Key: Complain about this post