A Conversation for Scottish Researchers Group

Forced into the area

Post 1

Khamsin

Hi... well Dr Anthea, who sometimes likes to (ok so most of the time) be called my girlfriend... says I have to become Scottish... smiley - erm and that I have to take a test...

She was telling me off earlier on the phone for pronounciong "good" like someone froom England... or Lancashire to be more exact...smiley - erm as that is where I dwell most of the time...

Though the end of the month will also be the third time I ahve been up Kilmarnock way this year... and at least this time I won't be wearing a kilt....

So can you all give me any advice?

smiley - grovel Khamsin- A Lancashire Lad with no clue

Forced into the area

Post 2

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

I say you have to listen to her smiley - winkeye

Forced into the area

Post 3

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Swear undying devotion to Irn Bru

Never leave a party on your feet

Slag off the English alot

Manage those 3 and you will fit right in smiley - winkeye

Forced into the area

Post 4

Khamsin

smiley - rofl I have never tasted Iru Bru....

I don't drink alcohol so leaving inn that state is harder...

I slag off the english all the timesmiley - winkeye

smiley - cry only 1 out of 3

Forced into the area

Post 5

I will give you irnbrew...
smiley - biggrin
as for the party one. can we get a waver?

Forced into the area

Post 6

we can let you off that one!

Forced into the area

Post 7

*hugs mort*
smiley - biggrin
the sooner you get to Scotland the better khamsin laddie smiley - winkeye

Forced into the area

Post 8

The Psycho Chicken -- self respect intact

I'm an Englishman (well, actually I'm a Scouser, so I'm not sure that counts) who's lived in Scotland for 25 years.

My best mate officially made me an honourary Scotsman only a couple of years ago when I told a barman in an English pub to shove it because he refused a Scottish banknote.

smiley - chick

Forced into the area

Post 9

I am English too, but have lived in Scotland for 12 years so I tend to forget about it!

Forced into the area

Post 10

Khamsin

I don't think there is any chance of me moving to scotland any time soon... lack of money and job is a problemsmiley - winkeye

I think I would get annoyed at another englsih man if he wouldn't accept my Scpttish notes... as I prefer then to the English onessmiley - winkeye

Forced into the area

Post 11

*holds a hand over his mouth*
*nervous laugh*
obviously there are still a few.... wrinkles that need to be ironed out smiley - winkeye

I dont understand the not accepting scottish notes thing, well maybe if it was a £1 note because there not exactly legal over there... but as for the rest. smiley - erm

Forced into the area

Post 12

Khamsin

hey what did I say wrong?

smiley - erm I remember having one pound notes... at leastI think I do... smiley - erm asides the isle of mann ones and the scottish ones

Forced into the area

Post 13

tom

I have a couple of Canadian friends who are golf daft. Instead of sending an expensive Christmans card this year and next I'm going to cut out the middle man and send them a Royal Bank of Scotland £5 note. It's got a picture of Old Tom Morris and the Royal and Ancient on the back.

Forced into the area

Post 14

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Scottish £1 are indeed legal in Englandshire. As long as the note says Sterling on it (and they do) they have to be accepted smiley - ok

Forced into the area

Post 15

Khamsin

smiley - yikes I have seen even banks refuse them...

strange...

Forced into the area

Post 16

Munchkin

http://www.siliconglen.com/Scotland/1_7.html
Interestingly this says that Scottish Notes are not "legal tender" even in Scotland. Apparently "legal tender" is a dodgy term anyway. You can still use Scottish Notes in England though.

Forced into the area

Post 17

Ku'Reshtin (Bring the beat back!)

So, basically, you can't pay with any notes whatsoever in Scotland, according to that text. Or rather, anyone can refuse to accept any notes as payment for anything, even though it'd be really silly to do so.

Forced into the area

Post 18

and here was me thinking we shouldnt take english notes because they dont say stirling on them smiley - winkeye
when all the time it was the scottish ones i should be worried about oh dear what to do...
i think i will spend them anyway smiley - winkeye

Forced into the area

Post 19

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

You shouldn't take any notes that say Stirling on them, as they're badly spelt forgeries. smiley - tongueout

Forced into the area

Post 20

*frowns*

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more