A Conversation for The Wedding Present - the Band

Great Band, Great Article

Post 1

cclaya

I was pleased to see such a well-researched and informative article on one of my fave raves. I'm frankly a little shocked to learn that I'm not their only fan! Thanks!

Post 2

Catwoman

I know what you mean - most people don't own up to being Wedding Present fans these days ...

smiley - cat

Post 3

cclaya

I'm in Phoenix, Arizona US. I would be surprised if more than a dozen other people in the state have even heard of them

Post 4

oganesque

First band I ever saw live - Town and Country Club, 1988. Stonking!! Was wallpapering the nursery the other day and listened to Tommy for the first time in about 5 years which brought the memories flooding back.

Post 5

benmadrigal

what a good article, well done.
it's a shame that considering the revivals of the fall, gang of four, pixies te al that the weddoes have never got the credit they deserve, or indeed, are never cited as a major influence on todays bands. i know for a fact that my band "real madrigal" would not be the band we are without a diet of wedding present for the last god knows how long.
but whats this... THE WEDDING PRESENT ARE BACK!!!!!!
new album "take fountain" is released on feb 14th 2005 - oh my god!!!!
the weddoes were classic, i grew up with them, i remember getting "seamonsters" for my 16th birthday (13 years ago) and i listened to that very same cd just last week. geek fact - "dalliance" off the above album is about a newspaper article gedge read about jilly cooper, she had an affair which lasted 7 years which she described in the article as a dalliance.
not only did the weddoes visceral sound become a benchmark for all my music taste, but the duality of the often tender and haunting lyrics has left me the emotional wreck i am today - "jealosy is an essential part of love, the hurting here below, the emptiness above" WOW!
please allow me to indulge my obsession;
"these bedroom walls are paper thin
you took a side in every neighbours row
and those kids next door make such a din
sitting here it seems oh so quiet now" - Don't Laugh

"it's just this razor, he's left it on your shelf
i'll throw it out myself,
and if it didn't mean a thing
and you told him to go
and if you're as sorry as you say
why didn't you just say no!" - No

"We talked all night,
suddenly it's tuesday
i still don't know
if what we want is wrong
i just love hearing you say
please don't go...
...cos i can't fall asleep
even in my own bed
until you're here" - Suck

"i bumped into joe on victoria road and he something,
about last weekend, he knows your new boyfriend,
he said he saw it coming.
and those letters i wrote, so now i know what you did with them,
of course he looks, you sliced me up and then showed it to him...
...in the old folks homes, with their silly clothes, there must be much more
all those poems i sent and that massive dent i left in your door,
i don't want them back, you can burn the lot, i just feel betrayed
well it's been this long, all the flesh has gone, but the bones remain" - Thanks

"i must have walked past this doorway
30 times, just trying to catch your eye
you made it all worthwhile
when you returned my smile...
you're not like anyone i've ever met,
well at least not yet!" - A Million Miles

Lest we forget.. the wedding present, one of the truly great bands of the pre-hype indie world. Cobain wasn't fit to change their strings.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more