A Conversation for The Quite Interesting Society

QI - Following The Leader

Post 21

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

There's a bunch of 2009 QIs need scoring.

Just FYI, Bob's asked we use a new scoring metric for 2010, assigning points individually to each researcher.

I'm a little stuck for QIs at the moment, all I've got in my ideas folder are the sources for the questions i failed to turn into QIs last year!

And they are still as interminable as before! smiley - groan

Post 22

Taff Agent of kaos

no i didn't look it up

it was a wild stab in the dark

the follow the leader just came to me,

i used to lunch in hameln most weekdays at 28 amph regt RE when we worked at the ammunition storage site in the woods on the otherside of the ridge, so i am...was familiar with the area

smiley - bat

Post 23

Oh! That was right!? Wow.! smiley - applause

Post 24

Oh dear pissed Taff off.

Mal - Taff was in the army (was the army right?)

This is why I don't get hung up on books and friends. There is no way to guarantee what knowledge people will come to the riddles with (or have access to)
the delight is for me in having them unpicked. I just rule out google and wiki.

Post 25

Taff Agent of kaos

when i try these

http://www.google.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

i get this

This Page Cannot Be Displayed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on your corporate access policies, access to this web site ( http://www.google.com/ ) has been blocked.

The site you have requested is not available on the Quantum system. If you are an Enhanced User and believe you have a legitimate need to access this content please contact the Helpdesk and provide the codes below.

If you have questions, please contact the Helpdesk and provide the codes shown below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notification codes: (1, BLOCK_DEST, BLOCK-DEST, http://www.google.com/)

This Page Cannot Be Displayed

Based on your corporate access policies, access to this web site ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki ) has been blocked because the web category "Reference" is not allowed.

The site you have requested is not available on the Quantum system. If you are an Enhanced User and believe you have a legitimate need to access this content please contact the Helpdesk and provide the codes below.

If you have questions, please contact the Helpdesk and provide the codes shown below.

Notification codes: (1, WEBCAT, BLOCK-WEBCAT, 0x4b9bc6b5, 1263339928.911, AAAbWQAAAAAAAAAAyQAAEP8AAAA=, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki)

smiley - bat

Post 26

Malabarista - now with added pony

smiley - shrug

There's a certain style to Taff's postings on QI (since he's the most prolific, it's easy to obeserve.)

He either throws something out there *with an explanation*, no matter how wild, or he posts a long list of various things. That wasn't either. Hence, it makes me suspicious.

To get back to the QI: he's been the city's official Pied Piper for the last 15 years!

Post 27

poster profiling? smiley - bigeyes

Post 28

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Now reposting to the right thread .... smiley - sigh

I assume it's safe to say now .....

What I am most proud of is my self control ... I kept wanting to post things like,

"I'm not going to be a rat and give that answer."

and

"It's a real rat race isn't it?"

What I really missed on my first day back at w*rk today was my afternoon nap smiley - zzz

smiley - laugh

Post 29

Ah!

Post 30

smiley - laugh

I'll write up the entry on the pied piper anyway...

Full explanation in there smiley - winkeye

Post 31

aka Bel - A87832164

Post 32

Taff Agent of kaos

i was wrong

just checked wiki and

he was military police and not based at hess oldendorf like i thought

by the way hameln was a british army garrison and not american

the american army were futher to the south

hameln was a 4 div area with 35 engr regt and 28 amph (bridging) regt

smiley - bat

Post 33

Taff Agent of kaos

there is a tradition in hameln of baking biscuits in the shape of rats and using currant for the eyes

smiley - bat

Post 34

Yes, I know. My grandparents lived there for years. This is what we call "misdirection", it not being a town with an *American* garrison...

If you did, indeed, simply stumble over the answer like you do over all the klaxons, I apologise, of course. smiley - ok

If, however, you simply looked it up, please reconsider that approach in future. I'm rather allergic to people who spoil everyone's fun merely so they can be the "winner".

In fact, I once got in a huge row over that with my English teacher, over what I wrote in an exam. It was an essay question about a book we'd been reading, which involved a boy who was terribly good at sports, and kept inventing new rules (that basically gave more points to him for things he was already good at) for games the group already played, so that he could win them even more.

I thought he was the book's central bad guy. The teacher thought he was the Jesus figure... smiley - whistle

I'd just as soon do away with the scoring altogether, but I suppose the competitive element keeps people coming back.

Post 35

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

most of the time when i play i am alone in an office all night, the only computer things i have acces to is bbc and government websites, and the only book that is consistently available is the gideons bible

if i was interested in winning do you think i would be where i am on the score board

its all about fun and keeping the boredom away for an 11 hour shift

and to be accused of cheating, out of hand then having all night to brood on it has put me in a pig of a moodsmiley - steam

smiley - bat

Post 36

toybox

>>It was an essay question about a book we'd been reading, which involved a boy who was terribly good at sports, and kept inventing new rules (that basically gave more points to him for things he was already good at) for games the group already played, so that he could win them even more.<<

He was playing Calvinball?

Post 37

smiley - laugh No. And he wasn't a child, either.

I suppose I'll just have to work on a way of making them immune to lucky guesses, then smiley - sigh

Sorry if I offended you, Taff, but you must admit, it's quite a leap to make!

Key: Complain about this post