A Conversation for The Quite Interesting Society

QI - I'll be brief - SFTGFOP

Post 61

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

>>Is it because, whilst Westerners consider the acronym-tea to be superiour, the Chinese actually prefer leaves that are slightly older?<<

Yes. Vip +3

The SFTGFOP is essentially a highly regarded tea of the sort we'd recognise in the west as Darjeeling, with a light, clear appearance mild astringency . It is grown from a Chinese species of tea plant that is cultivated in India (not an Assam)

The style of tea is down to the point at which the tips (tippy) are harvested. (the clue was in the fact the plant was still flowering smiley - cheerup - Super fancy Golden Tippy FLOWERING Orange Pekoe) It is in spite of the name a black tea, (there are many myths circling around the 'orange' appellate, something to do with the hue of the husk or possibly the surname of a famous importer.

The black tea of preference in China is Lapsang Souchong (which for my money smells for all the world like the interior of the hoover bag and, worryingly, furniture polish smiley - erm) but this is probably due to the Chinese preference to have the leaves slowly smoked over a pine fire. (Many myths also abound about the origin of that style of tea, but it's piquant order and strong earthy taste and a world apart from the fragrant and delicate sensibilities of Darjeeling.

Hence why you'd be unlikely to hear SFGTFOP spoken of in such circles.

If you need a hand in future remembering SFTGFOP as an acronym, try this memetic :

Surely, far to good for ordinary people! smiley - tea

Post 62

>>Sorry. I thought "Tippy" was a made-up word, disregarded the whole translation as a consequence <<

smiley - laugh

Whoops! smiley - winkeye

I think 'tippy' probably is a made up word, just like the tea isn't orange and pekoe desn't really refer to anything either - nevertheless those barmy tea merchants; brains addled by decades of constant caffiene abuse - this is the term they use.

Post 63

Vip

Yay! I got one right! *bounces*

smiley - fairy

Post 64

smiley - applause

Post 65

van-smeiter

"just like the tea isn't orange"

Of course not, it's mandarin. smiley - run

Post 66

toybox

Well I'll be damned. On of my regular blogs incidentally mentioned SFTGFOP in today's post:

http://www.maitre-eolas.fr/post/2009/11/14/Forfaiture

smiley - tea

Post 67

toybox

*One* of smiley - rolleyes

Post 68

smiley - laugh

Not just making stuff up. smiley - winkeye

Post 69

Just realised I never scored this thread. I'll do it when I get back from college.

Post 70

toybox

Well, technically, he only mentioned FTGFOP smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post