A Conversation for The Quite Interesting Society

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 41

drt

Sorry I have been away folks, I am going to close this up now for two reasons, firstly you have got most of the details, and secondly I cannot guarantee to be around very often at the moment.

Telford commisioned the acqueduct, which is indeed at Froncysyllte in North Wales, because of a bridge further up the river it is named the Pontcysllte Acqeuduct. Thomas Telford designed the piers and stonework, but the trough (which was the detail I was after, sorry Taff) was designed by the canal engineer William Jessop. The joints in the trough were sealed with lead and flannel dipped in boiling treacle, and at no point are they riveted together, as the pressure of the water holds them in place. The iron sections themselves are only a quarter of an inch thick.

I have found a reference to the usage of blood in the mortar, this was not part of the question, but something I wanted to know. It seems to suggest it was used as a plastisciser, making air bubbles in the mix, so it was easier to work and more weather resistant.

The trough includes a valve at roughly the half way point to empty the acqueduct for repairs, I have seen this opened and the water streaming out into the valley beneath is an extremely impressive sight.

If you travel over this 'bridge' it is slightly unnerving, particularly walking, as there is only a flimsy looking handrail on one side, but the Dee valley and beyond views are worth it.

Have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast/panoramics/pages/fron_aqueduct.shtml for a great panaromic, and incidentally nearby Llangollen has one of the best second hand bookshops I have ever been in!

Points will follow in a day or two. Thank you for taking part. DRT smiley - cheersfor now.

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 42

drt

Sorry, that should have read bookshop singular. Let me set a scene for you. You know the Terry Pratchett concept of l-space, where a sufficient quantity of books warps the space around it? Well there is a specific subset of S2-Bookspace as well.

You walk into the shop, you *know* that smell. You walk up or down a set of stairs, lined by books. Then up and down some more, until the internal topography bears no relation to what you see outside, and on every surface and the roughly finished shelves that line the walls are piles of books, haphazardly positioned and/ or in loose categories. There is a small room, somewhere in the centre that is difficult to find, even when you know wwhere it is, which contains the implements of the bookbinders art and some extremely rare and pricey volumes. Corridors around the sides, lined with books, seem to do the vanishing perspective trick. There are random piles of books waiting to be catalogued, and a slight air that you may never get out again. You can find the Blue Peter annual from 1974, a first edition of the Kon Tiki expedition and a complete set of Ladybird clasiics from 1953, or maps listing counties long gone. There are more paperbacks than you could ever read in your life, and a lot of which you would not want to. I love these places.

The greatest concentration of these places in the UK is in Haye-On-Wye, but the best example I have found so far, the sine-qua-non is above a coffee shop in Langollen.smiley - smiley

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 43

Taff Agent of kaos

<>

and if you know the secret to navigating L-space you can walk into one and out of the other.

dont do it at closing time because, getting back to the car can be a b*tchsmiley - winkeye

smiley - bat

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 44

drt

although if you were really, really good you might end up in my parents attic, and they would be a bit bemused...

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 45

Taff Agent of kaos

OOK?

smiley - bat

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 46

drt

If you say so, but may I say more Bernard Black?

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 47

drt

GT, while trying to assemble points just noticed your post. James Brindley, sorrysmiley - bluelight. but as I am trying to close the thread, I may let you off. As I said, points soon. Goodnight all.

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 48

drt

I think I know how I am going to score this, apart from (hollering for help again Clive if you are there, or anyone else for that matter) EYG's early clues. What should I give there?smiley - erm

QI- A load of Flannel

Post 49

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Hi drt,

I'm subscribed to all the QI threads so you've got my attention.

My advice would be a slew of DGIs (+1), for any clue that helped others get to the answer by narrowing the alternatives. A bit like: I'm thinking of a number: is it even or odd? - that's my definition of what the DGI Bonus should be awarded for, literally, anything that decreases the general ignorance - a looser definition is anything you feel was helpful. (E.g bit like EYG, it was obvious Not So Bald Eagle knew the answer in my Italian driving question but politely stood aside to let others guess, as a thank you, I awarded him a DGI bonus so it has a discretionary quality too. smiley - ok

DGIs are cumulative which means they can easily equal the elf bonus and correct answer score (equalling a QI bonus is also possible, but I suggest, rare.) That's their purpose to have an alternative scoring route, encourage participation.

and just for the record.

smiley - bluelightKlaxons = -5

smiley - divaCorrect answers +3

smiley - eurekaQI Bonus +6

and don't forget to award yourself

smiley - elf Elf +2

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more