A Conversation for The Barracks

Roll Call

Post 41

Barneys Bucksaws

Nickname : Barney's Bucksaws
Researcher # : 168710
Branch of Service: Royal Canadian Navy (WRCNS)
Dates of Service : 1966-1969
Specialty : Communications Operator
Misc : Also Canadian Army Reserves, Communications Instructor

Roll Call

Post 42

Barneys Bucksaws

Aussies and Kippers - its time you had a Canuck among you!!!

Roll Call

Post 43

tacsatduck- beware the <sheep> lie

Ah good another Signal brat

Roll Call

Post 44

Barneys Bucksaws

A few people in here involved in communications one way or another. As for where I went: Cornwallis Nova Scotia for New Entry Training, Victoria BC (HMCS Esquimalt) for trade training, then all the way to the other coast to outside Halifax Nova Scotia (CFS Mill Cove) for my working base. No chance of sea time in those days. Female Sparkers got Cement Frigates, and that was it!! Had a lot of fun, though, and made some incredible friends.

Roll Call

Post 45

invisibleknight

Use to do Secure Comms as part of my job. Mostly as part of my War role.

Roll Call

Post 46

Barneys Bucksaws

Comms can be exciting or boring, depending what's going on. I was in when the Pueblo was captured by North Korea, which casued some excitement, and it was Cold War years. Our air craft carrier, the Bonaventure, dropped a helicopter over the side. The same ship came through the eye of a hurricane, and the messages were flying! The flight deck got pealed back like a sardine can. And the boring - 8 hours radio watch with northern lights out and screwing up communications, and listening to static all night. We dispelled the boredom by playing 7-up, tossing pop cans around, and making rockets out of silver paper and matches. Canada's last hope!

Roll Call

Post 47

tacsatduck- beware the <sheep> lie

I would have to agree. I seem to remember a lot of card playing smiley - laugh on those training missions where you were with a unit that didn't move much, you set up your shot then waited for something to go wrong smiley - winkeye Then you would go out with a tank battalion or some other fast moving unit and you would set up, communicate then tear down a few hours latter just to drive somewhere else and do it again. smiley - laugh

Roll Call

Post 48

Barneys Bucksaws

Yes, we had a bridge game going in FCC every middle watch. I used to sit and do the crossword in the Chronicle-Herald every night. What was always interesting to watch, was the way we could turn professional at a second's notice. We'd all be playing the fool, and someone would shout "I've got a boat" and the message classification. If the classification was high, we'd all immediately start scanning our frequencies, and be totally involved in our work - just like that! Some chrisis in the world, or with our own ships, and it was dead silence, except for shouted high classification to alert the router.

Roll Call

Post 49

Barneys Bucksaws

Nickname : Barney's Bucksaws
Researcher # : 168710
Branch of Service:Royal Canadian Navy
Dates of Service :1966-1969
Specialty :Communications Operator
Misc :WRCNS (Wrens)

Roll Call

Post 50

Barneys Bucksaws

Don't know how I ended up in here twice, but .....I'm B-a-a-a-c-k.

Key: Complain about this post