A Conversation for Origami

Engineering Folding

Post 1

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

I used to do shedloads of Origami when I was a kid, but lost interest when I eventually managed to make the Jackstone (possibly the most difficult fold ever: it took me years and probably half a tree's worth of paper to master). I have recently been trying to find out about a bracnch of the discipline called Engineering Folding: anybody know anything about it?

Lovely article BTW.

Engineering Folding

Post 2

Methos (one half of the HHH Management)

Hi!

No, I don't know nothing about engineering folding. Sorry!

But - what is the "Jackstone"???

methos

Engineering Folding

Post 3

The Jackstone is probably the most difficult fold in the Robert Harbin series of books that were published by Coronet (or Pan?) in the 70's. When completed, it is a three-dimensional six-pointed star, with each point directed along the six x, y and z axes. Send your email address to [email protected] and I'll send you a link (the moderators would only get it if it were posted here).

Engineering Folding

Post 4

Methos (one half of the HHH Management)

Okay, I'll do that. So you'll hear - or better read - from me soon!

Methos

Engineering Folding

Post 5

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

By the way, Origami's moved on a fair bit since the jackstone (and Dave Brill has a much easier way of folding it.. I /think/ it's in his Brilliant Origami book) ... there's plenty of even more challenging stuff out there.... *nudges gently*.. go on, you know you want to start folding again... smiley - winkeye

Engineering Folding

Post 6

Can you post some information about the book, please? And yes, I do want to start folding again. I think it's one of the best pastimes for completely shutting out the outside world and 'switching off'. I know people take the mickey but it's marvellous therapy.

Engineering Folding

Post 7

My fave complex origami books at the moment:

Brilliant Origami by Dave Brill. Lots of tasty models here, which look great wetfolded - dragons and horses, and lions,... and some really nice boxes too. A hinged lidded box from one sheet with no cuts anyone?

Origami for the Connessour - Kasahara . Includes the famous Kawasaki Rose (at least, one version of it) - and has a lot on the geometry of paper, and how models/folds 'work' as well as some nicely difficult models. It ends with Montroll's stegosaurus, which is a work to behold.

Robert Lang - Origami Insects. If you like super-complicated, super-realistic models, then this is the book for you. Make varieties of bug you didn't know existed, all with six legs, antennae, wings, and so on. Lots of sinking.

Hope this helps get you going. smiley - smiley

Engineering Folding

Post 8

Thanks for those references. I'll buy the book(s) and let you know how I got on.

FM

Engineering Folding

Post 9

Please do! I'll just fold some paper while I wait to hear from you.... smiley - winkeye

Engineering Folding

Post 10

What is 'wet folding' anyhow? Some rather more stuctured form of papier-mache? smiley - winkeye

Engineering Folding

Post 11

Heh. Having tried it at the weekend, 'wet folding' is definitely a misnomer.

"Very slight damp" folding is probably more accurate.

Use heavy-duty paper rather than thin kami ... and a spray bottle like you get for misting plants, turned to the finest spray possible... very lightly dampen the surface of the paper, wipe off most of the excess with a dry cloth, and leave it for a few moment for the fibres to swell.. the paper will become a lot softer and more pliable.

Then fold - and use softer, gentler curves rather than sharp creases - it gives a much more naturalistic look. And when it dries, it'll be pretty solid too.

Engineering Folding

Post 12

Cadi Merchionamercheluned

Is this the same as paper engineering? Creating models of machines out of paper and card? I've tried that a few times, but never been much good.

I (or rather my mam) used to have three of Harbin's books, and I could do most of the easier folds from the book, but I could never remember them, and now that the books have gone walkabout (mysteriously disappearing the way books do), I can't do them any more!!! Annoying, but it's encouraged me to develop my memory. It's an ill wind ...

Cadi

Engineering Folding

Post 13

Don Malvado, so bitter my cat won't even lick me

Nice page about Origami!

I've done all the origami in the books I have, even the strange and clever ones. Time to get some new books for christmas I think

Key: Complain about this post