This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Expanding my pop music collection

Post 161

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

They made a lot of experiments. As did George Martin and The Beatles. Of course they were not the first. Experimental electronic music had been around for a number of years already. The Beatles and the Floyd just made it more popular than most others.

I'm watching/listening to a documentary named "The World According to John Coltrane" while writing this. Fascinating!

smiley - pirate

Post 162

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I like Coltrane, except for the last track on the CD I have, which seems to be a lot of percussion.

Post 163

Out of the corner of my eye I followed a reporter strolling through a cemetery in Copenhagen. He found the grave of Ben Webster. I must go see it some time

smiley - pirate

Post 164

Right now I'm listening to a CD of 20 years of hits by UB40, a British reggae band. I get a kick out of their versions of Sonny & Cher's "I got you, babe" and Elvis's "Can't help falling in love with you." Bob Marley, who is synonymous with reggae in the popular imagination, only sold about 20 million albums, but UB40 has sold two or three times as many. Go figure.

Right now, they're sing "There's a rat in the kitchen."smiley - laugh

Post 165

Now they're singing "Light my fire."

Not that they only do covers of other people's hits. There are plenty of original numbers on the CD.

Post 166

I like UB40. Like I like lots of reggae. Third World and Black Uhuru spring to mind. But yes, Marley is #1. Live! is a blacm earl in my collection!

"Live" is a Bob Marley and the Wailers live album, released on 5 December 1975. Live! was recorded 19 July 1975 at the Lyceum Theatre in London. The performance remains one of Marley's most famous...

smiley - pirate

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more