A Conversation for Talking Point: Exams

Exams. Ha.

Post 1

Slartibartfast's Helper

Exams. All this stuff in the media saying that they're getting easier. It's true. Compare a 1992 General Standard Grade French Reading paper and a 2001 Credit Standard Grade French Reading, and you'll notice that the 1992 General paper seems to be much harder than the 2001.

As for stress... yup, it's there, it's big, and it's horrible. And the only solution is to take it out on your parents, kids - and by gum, it's fun!!!!

On a slightly scarier note... learning information for exams can be bloomin' dangerous... the other day, I was learning some French, and by the time I got to my next class, I couldn't remember any of their names!! All reminds me of my Homer Simpson mousemat, "Every time I learn something new it pushes some of the old stuff out of my brain!"

Keep it cool, and PASS!!!!

Exams. Ha.

Post 2

Silly Willy

I would disagree with that, from the many past papers I've done they all seem of a consistant standard. I'd be interested to see the difference between O Levels and GCSEs.

Exams. Ha.

Post 3

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

It really irks me when people decry that the exams are getting easier. I don't know about anyone else but I've worked damn hard and I don't like having my effort demeaned by some suit saying that the exam I just sat and prepared for is somehow worth less because in their eyes the exams are becomeing easier.
Grr. smiley - cross

Clive (NOT a smiley - smileysmiley - bunny)

Exams. Ha.

Post 4

ah! smiley - yikes

not that I include Slartibartfast's helper amongst the irksome anonymouse suits! smiley - bigeyes

I meant figures who appear on the news and make these accusations year on year.

Clive smiley - winkeye (sorry if that was confusing...)

Exams. Ha.

Post 5

Wand'rin star

My sons always told me that Maths was "harder than when you took it thirty years ago,Mum, because there's more of it" Likewise History, I suppose (smiley - star)

Exams. Ha.

Post 6

smiley - smiley

Exams. Ha.

Post 7

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

Absolutely. Think of all the extra periods of literature we have to study or English.

Exams. Ha.

Post 8

Clelba

whatever anyone else tells you, always remember that exams are fun. especially gcses. nothing matters. it's all fun. not only is it true, but thinking that makes you more relaxed and therefore you will do better. anyway, i've already finished two of my gcses so i should know smiley - tongueout
^. .^
= ' =
smiley - angelsmiley - choc
smiley - blackcatsmiley - cat

Exams. Ha.

Post 9

I've finished eleven GCSEs and two A-levels, but I wouldn't advise getting *too* relaxed. Just make sure you revise thoroughly - that always helps - get a good night's sleep and have breakfast.

Not that I ever follow this advice. I did my GCSE Latin and Chemistry exams after having sat up the whole night - didn't do too much harm though. smiley - winkeye

Exams. Ha.

Post 10

Clelba

people always say that staying up all night and things is bad advice, but if it works for some people, surely it's not bad advice?
maybe people should learn not to rely on it...
^. .^
= ' =

Exams. Ha.

Post 11

But then again, I did the same thing in my 2nd physics paper for GCSE, and I was violently ill - had to do the paper lying down and everything. smiley - smiley That was fun...

Exams. Ha.

Post 12

Clelba

oo er!!
i've heard stories of people lying in hosptal beds and doing gcses. apparently you get time added onto the end to make up for the time spent being sick...
^. .^
= ' =

Exams. Ha.

Post 13

Almighty Rob - mourning the old h2g2

I believe in a "healthy" level of stress. It induces some kind of reaction that means you run on adrenaline or something and you perform.

Just don't overexert. And don't try to learn anything in the last hour before the exam - it goes into your short term memory and blocks access to longer term things. (Learnt that from my Physics teach, who did his PhD on education/brain function).

Key: Complain about this post