A Conversation for John Williams - Film Composer

More composers for the list

Post 1

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

James Horner anyone?

And not exactly prolific (yet) but I'd say a good prediction for a future addition to the pantheon is David Arnold - Stargate SG-1, the recent Bond films....

Post 2

Mr Prophet (General Purpose Genre Guru)

David Arnold is not on the list for a very good reason.

I forgot.

Yeah, mea maxima culpa. I really meant to put him in - I love the Stargate score, although I think it's only the main theme that's his on SG-1 - but it slipped my mind, then I was hitting the deadlines for the project.

I think that a second Composer's project, or perhaps a part B would be in order. As well as Arnold and Horner, Shifrin and Mancini could sustain entries of their own, and I'd be tempted to put in something on Wojacz Kilar and Trevor Jones, both of whom I'm rather partial to.

Post 3

Researcher 201064

How about Trevor Jones - a British composer who has done some great scores...last of the mohicans, notting hill, arachnophobia, cliffhanger, in the name of the father, labrynth

Post 4

Yes. Trevor Jones. That's who I meant when I said Trevor Jones, you see.

Post 5

svabhava

hey, if you ever get started on part b, then give me a composer and i'll do another article. As regards James Horner, maybe he should be included but surely only in the event of him writing a good score, which he hasn't yet.

Post 6

Zebedee (still Pool God after all these years)

Have you seen Aliens? Don't tell me the music isn't perfect for the film. And if you don't like the film then try not to be biased when judging the music...

Post 7

I'm quite fond of the Braveheart score as well.

OK, so:

- James Horner (svabhava's objections noted)
- Trevor Jones (and let's not forget Dark Crystal and Dark City)
- Wojciech Kilar (assuming I can consistently spell his name right and find anything but Dracula that he scored)
- Lalo Shifrin
- David Arnold
- Henry Mancini

Maybe also:

- Howard Shore
- Basil Poledouris
- Michael Kamen (how many film composers can put a series of orchestral heavy metal settings on their resume?)

That's already as many again as the original project. Any more for any more?

Post 8

svabhava

I'll put my hand up for Shore, Arnold if no one else is desperate given he ties in with Barry and Alex North maybe (ok maybe spartacus is a bit cliched but still)

Post 9

Keen, but if you do Arnold the Stargate Overture has to be in the outstanding works, or...um...I'll feel cheated.

I'll take Jones, Poledouris and Kilar (The Ninth Gate; that's the other thing of his that I have!) then.

That leaves Mancini and Shifrin (either of whom I could probably pick up if need be), Horner and Kamen, plus anyone else anyone can think of.

If there's enough interest in this, then I can put it forward to the University as a new project or an expansion. Unless someone else wants to get themselves a Field Researcher's banner, in which case they can do the honours.

Post 10

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

Vangelis (Chariots of Fire) and Alan Silvistri (Back to the Future, among other things)...

Post 11

Pyrex Muse of Unbreakable Space-age Wonder Glass, Student of Life, Keeper of the Seven Keys of Ventuslor

Though I like James Horner and his works I must say, he could write some original music that is better. He seems to repeat his sam favorite parts in songs, Braveheart and Bicentennial man have many of the same passages in the, though they are different insturments... Casper is a good score that resembles no others that I can (so far) find. Titanic, well I havnt seen it but I dont really want to... The music I have heard, is ok, but just a typical James Horner. Apollo 13 was pretty good, I like the end theme. Swing kids, His music was outstanding in this movie, very dark and sinister, Oh and you know what? James Horner's music, it really contains my favorite things about movie music, to hard for me to explain here...

Alan Silvestri? Deffinately, I think he is my favorite composer, especially for The Abyss and CastAway, although in the trailer for CastAway they use a James Horner passage of music, It sends chills down my spine every time I hear it... it matches so well... anyway...

Enough for now... smiley - smiley

smiley - hsifsmiley - smileysmiley - fish

Post 12

Pyrex; would you like to take on Horner then, since you seem to know his canon pretty well. And would you or Amy care to tackle Silvestri?

Post 13

Pyrex Muse of Unbreakable Space-age Wonder Glass, Student of Life, Keeper of the Seven Keys of Ventuslor

Perhaps I will, Ok I will, give me a while to resurch him more, as I know mostly just his work in various movies, not so much his WHOLE life. Alan silvestri will have to be someone elses as I do not have the time for multiple people.

smiley - hsifsmiley - smileysmiley - fish

Post 14

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

I'd love to do a writeup on Alan Silvestri... but when I have more time. Just got back to uni... will be busy and then some for the next 14 weeks. smiley - yikes

Post 15

Chris Martin - Researcher 201856

I'll vote for James Horner, Henry Mancini and Howard Shore.

How about Edward Shearmur? He's the man that did "Jakob the Liar" and "K-PAX"

Lalo Schifrin is a maybe. He's more of a TV-music composer than a Movie Composer.

Post 16

Cool Hand Luke, Bullitt, Kelly's Heroes, Dirty Harry (and most if not all of the sequels), Enter the Dragon, The Eagle has Landed, half-a-dozen Disney live-action flicks, The Amityville Horror; how is this not being a Movie Composer?

Lalo Schifrin has done a lot of TV work, but more than enough movies to qualify, especially since for my money he gets in on Bullitt alone. Ed Shearmur, I have to say I can't relly remember any of his stuff, and I only saw Reign of Fire a week ago.

Post 17

Chris Martin - Researcher 201856

Wow..

I didn't realize he did Cool Hand Luke (an awesome movie), and the others.

I stand corrected smiley - smiley

I said that becuase I only recognize him for his work with the MIssion:Impossible theme...

Post 18

He's a little like Alexander Courage in that respect; a single TV theme over-rides everything else he's ever done.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more