A Conversation for Origami

A526439 - Origami

Post 1

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A526439

Umm.. don't quite know what to say. Except that there's nothing on origami as yet in the edited guide. And it's a nice trivial thing to know about. So, here's an article on it. Scouts, peers, do your worst smiley - smiley

A526439 - Origami

Post 2

Sad, Mad or Bad? - I always wanted to be a dino, but alas, I'm just old.

As always, I think you've done a fantastic job, Inanna! And I learnt heaps! smiley - smiley

What I'd like to see in it is a bit on why origami has so much appeal: what it is about paper folding that entices people to spend so much time on it.

As a personal nitpick (and it's purely a style preference of mine, so make of it what you will), I probably wouldn't say 'Another h2g2 article tells the story of Sadako and the Peace Crane.' but maybe just incorporate the link into your flow of thought. And I'd probably do the same with your other links, but that's just me.

But it's fantastic, Inanna, well done. A definite must for the guide!

A526439 - Origami

Post 3

Thanks for the suggestions, SMoB - helpful and good as always. I've changed the wording of the Sadako link, and added another paragraph on the appeal of Origami. At least, as general as I can get it.

A526439 - Origami

Post 4

Jimi X

Practically perfect in every way! smiley - smiley

I can't imagine that this will sit long here in Peer Review...

A526439 - Origami

Post 5

Barton

A lovely and fascinating article.

I have had an interest in Origami but I have never found the time to pursue it. This article goes a long way toward opening up the possibilities of Origami.

I have only one slight nit to pick. One of your headers has no space before the text that follows it. See! A very nitty nit.

'Edit' this one immediately.

Barton

A526439 - Origami

Post 6

Found and corrected. Thanks Barton.

Now I'll just await a passing scout..

A526439 - Origami

Post 7

That's wonderful, Inanna. Great job, as always. smiley - smiley

A526439 - Origami

Post 8

Wayfarer -MadForumArtist, Keeper of bad puns, Greeblet with Goo beret, Tangential One

ditto to previous, and i, too, have a nitpicky nit to pick: where you say "Some of his most famous models include a horse, lionsand even origami smoking!", you left out a space between lions and and. just a very small thing. love the picture you chose!

A526439 - Origami

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

lovely article!smiley - ok

Just as a side note: In the Deutsches Museum (Science&Technology Museum, Munich-Oberschleissheim) they used the technique to build small aircraft models out of tin foil. Accurate down to the propellers and landing gear. However, I don't know if they used square sheets or cuts to build them.

A526439 - Origami

Post 10

Space inserted, thanks for the correction.

And I didn't know about the dutch museum. That's very cool. Tin foil can be used, either on its own, or spray-mounted to tissue paper, to make paper that can be used particularly for fine, small models, with lots of detail, like claws on dragons etc.

A526439 - Origami

Post 11

That'd be an interesting thing to add; unless you have all ready?

A526439 - Origami

Post 12

MaW

Wonderful! Wonderful!. I'm not sure if the third footnote ("while unicycling") is actually necessary though - I'd have put that as part of the sentence it's attached to.

A526439 - Origami

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

This is a very comprehensive article.

Wasn't there a technique invented in the 90s which involved folding a huge number of identical bases out of a single sheet? There was an article in New Scientist about it. It provides any amount of corners, which can be used for various things. This allows extremely complex models to be created. I saw one of a cuckoo clock, complete with cuckoo, hands, leaves around the clock and pine-cone weights.

Perhaps you have already covered this technique and I didn't recognise it.

A526439 - Origami

Post 14

Pheroneous

This is excellent. Good subject, well written. I could have spent too many hours checking out the links. Wonderful stuff.

A526439 - Origami

Post 15

Yep, that's Robert Lang's cuckoo clock. He's also the author of the wonderful 'origami insects' book, which includes various beetles, bugs, all with the correct number of appendages, antennae, wings, etc etc. He's devised a computer program to help get the points in the right place. I'll add a paragraph on him and his work. Thanks.

A526439 - Origami

Post 16

OK, Robert Lang and his work now gets his own bullet point, along with links to pictures of the cuckoo clock, and his allosaurus skeleton.

Thanks for the reminders smiley - smiley

A526439 - Origami

Post 17

Wayfarer -MadForumArtist, Keeper of bad puns, Greeblet with Goo beret, Tangential One

glad you finished that so soon, because congragulations! your entry has now acheived the lofty status of Reccommended.(if it turned out it wasn't done, that could be awkward as it had already been accepted for editing) you'll be glad to know that we think your entry is great and that it will sometime be a part of the Edited Guide. you will be emailed when the editing process is finished and it gets in, but please keep in mind that this can take awhile. thanks for writing for the Guide, and for your reccommendation!

A526439 - Origami

Post 18

Wow! Thank you very much, for accepting it, and for doing it so quickly!

Guess now I just have to be patient and wait... smiley - smiley

A526439 - Origami

Post 19

Martin Harper

One tiny suggestion to an otherwise *great* entry - in a few places (eg, David Brill) you link to particular subpages - it'd be better to only link to the main 'entry' page - subpages like this have a tendency to get moved around, resulting in broken links... smiley - sadface

Congratulations!

Post 20

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they have not been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more