A Conversation for Zaphodista Army of Cybernautic Liberation

Member roster?

Post 1

Deidzoeb

There's no requirements for how to become a Zaphodista, but I'd like to get some idea of how many people might support our goals.

Please leave your h2g2 username and the link or number of your user page (like U96220) on this thread if you would like to receive future notices about events or updates to the Zaphodista group.
smiley - skull

"Please be very careful if you want to post an email address or ICQ number, as you may SUBVERT THE DOMINANT PARADIGM! and receive lots of emails or messages."

Member roster?

Post 2

Moondancer

Are you trying to be subvertive?

Have you a big wooden spoon that you are using to swearl around in a bucket of yucky stuff.

Are you not afraid thet you will be ******* out of existance.

Are you a brave man (person) or just a fool with no where else to go.

smiley - smiley

Member roster?

Post 3

Deidzoeb

>Are you a brave man (person) or just a fool with no where else to go.<

?

There are plenty of other message boards and online communities we could all defect to, so that rules out "no where else to go." The problem with those other places is that they don't have the character and background of h2g2. I like that it's all based around the idea of Douglas Adams' novel, even if he is like an absent god who gave birth to the website and seldom looks in on his creation. Still, I've seen lots of interesting thoughts and people on h2g2, and would like to see it return to the beautiful, open kind of place it used to be.

It's not really "brave" to argue with a website that might kick you off, though I don't plan to break any rules that would give them reason, and I don't think they'll single me out with prejudice. I'm working within their system to ask that they reform the system.

If you want to see real bravery, look up "zapatista army of national liberation" on your favorite search engine.

Member roster?

Post 4

GinTonyx - Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic, Muse of the Lemon Garden.

Hey, I'm in.
My U-number is U160161. My name is Gin Tonyx. I am the Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic. I am even the muse of the Lemon Garden.

Let's have a dialogue then. (I wonder if anyone from the Beeb's ever shows up here and explains why they want it this way...)

Now, what do we do now?

-Gin

Member roster?

Post 5

JK the unwise

JK the unwise
Keeper of the relem under the DCS
U153345
smiley - fairy

Member roster?

Post 6

Deidzoeb

>I wonder if anyone from the Beeb's ever shows up here and explains why they want it this way...<

They've explained their excuses for the new restrictions in other places. I think some of them have pricked up their ears, but they still want to justify their positions and convince us that we should accept it.

What do we do now?

I don't know. We need suggestions for what to do next, and any modification or additions or revision of the main Zaphodista page that people recommend. Does it sound okay as it stands?

I'd like to maybe eventually hash out a petition against the new restrictions, and post it in places where people might use it. But I'm not sure of the logistics, and would like input from people on what the wording should be. Just a copy of the "demands" section from the Zaphodistas page, or something more concise? Can a petition be done on message boards, or should we ask people to email our petition to the h2g2 staff? Has anyone seen petitions like this circulated on h2g2 before, or elsewhere on the web?

Gin, if you have any suggestions, let's hear it.

Member roster?

Post 7

Afgncaap5

I'm Afgncaap5, user number 99500. While I support the BBC's ends, I have no support for their means, and wish to see the pictures back in pages, the URLs back in forums, and the copyright info off in a corner where I can't see it again. I also want the old smiley - fish back, but I won't hold my breath. smiley - winkeye

First of all, know that Crater Labs, Inc. and my Holistic Detective Agency are giving you support.

Second, I'd like to make a comment on the petition. It wasn't too long ago that there was an anti-torture petition on h2g2, and people simply signed the petition, stating who they were and that they didn't want evil dictators to torture people anymore. You could simply run a petition like that through the forums, really. I don't recommend making the petition off-site or via Email unless the petition gets censored.

Member roster?

Post 8

Garius Lupus

Garius Lupus - U87448

I agree with your goals and methods and think you did a great job on the entry. A petition is good, but simple membership in this club serves the same purpose. You should put a list of members at the bottom of the entry. The only advantage a petition has is that is somewhat less of a committment for people to make, so you might get more people that way.

To drum up membership, we should all put a message in parenthesis after our names and also explicitly point people here in the forums we frequent. Afgncaap5 has already done this in at least two places (that's how I found my way here).

Member roster?

Post 9

TowelMaster

Hi,

Towelmaster(ACE) -(Though I am seriously thinking about the last bit).
Page : U45152, Just updated my page with information about The Zaphodista's. Count me in, at least until things change for the better.

To be clear about this : I am glad that the BBC took over h2g2 but as several others already stated : I am not happy at all with the way they are trying to turn it into a chatbox without any *real* content.

I hereby pledge that I will remain The Fly On The Wall, The Rat In The Ductworks, The Ralph Nader of h2g2...

Loving h2g2's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it...

TM.

Member roster?

Post 10

Titania (gone for lunch)

Titania U135628

I want to able to post in Swedish!

Feel free to put up a Zaphodista ad on my noticeboard, here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U147915

Member roster?

Post 11

Titania (gone for lunch)

Oh, and remember to check Who's Online before using the noticeboard, to make sure no one else is logged in as that user... only one at the time can use it...smiley - smiley

Member roster?

Post 12

The Corrupt One (MIA)

Count me in. They deleted one of my clubs (though that's one of the few things that I'll say they rightfully deleted), but I find this whole thing annoying.

u143865

smiley - devil

Member roster?

Post 13

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Count me as a supporter of the struggles!

Marv the Grate, Archbishop CotTB U28338

Viva la Zaphodistas!

Member roster?

Post 14

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Gw7en, U93295.

Glad to join, Sad there's a need to.

G7

Member roster?

Post 15

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Peet, U38364

I'll support you any way I can; if you need some off-site space leave a note on my BBS (link at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A521407#back3 ) and I'll arrange as many pages as you need. Links to external pictures available... smiley - bigeyes

Member roster?

Post 16

NYC Student - The innocent looking one =P

NYC Student, U132663

[possibly, not entirely, but with a slight chance of having signs of being something close to an inflammatory statement removed by moderators] smiley - winkeye

Member roster?

Post 17

Chris Tonks

Professor Christopher Tonks, Minister for Science & Technology, h2g2 Ambassador to San Beta, and GalaGroup Overseer to San Beta.
U116693

I'm not sure if I will join as such, as there are a few things I don't agree with, but I will certainly watch with great interest.

However - in VR - the populace of the Space Station Big C, and the GalArmy Offense Force of San Beta are on your side, as I am to a degree.
Call on me if you require my assistance, as I have connections in the h2g2 Cabinet.

Member roster?

Post 18

Nereus

¡Viva La Revolución!

Nereus - U106554

Member roster?

Post 19

Afgncaap5

Can we write a theme song? I wanna write a theme song!

Of course, I also want the Louvre, Vatican City, London, Paris, Rome, Washington D.C., Berlin, Sydney, and the Dominican Republic to do absolutely everything I want for a day, but hey, I can dream, can't I?

Member roster?

Post 20

Deidzoeb

Affy,

somebody started another message thread at the bottom of the Zaphodista page A520769 called "Marching Song," with lyrics about censorship. If you have any ideas, post them there.

Now this is the spirit of the h2g2 I know and love! How can we have a revolution without a themesong?!?!??! What was I thinking?!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more