This is the Message Centre for GreyDesk

Local festival thingy

Post 1

GreyDesk

Well that's the end of another 'Hanover Day'.

That's a local festival type of an affair that's organised by the church on my road in support of the local Community Centre. Yes, it has a bit of a Christian theme - it starts with one of the statues/icons from the church being paraded up and down the street. This is tempered a bit by the accompaniment being a bunch of 25 or so hippy looking folk beating out a funky tune on a load of drums and other percussion instruments. They do make a joyous racket, and would be guaranteed to wake one up if one was still sleeping; not least because they line up to start they're parade right outside of my front door.

It's definitely good fun. Musicians and bands and things. Then there are loads of stalls selling weird and wonderful shit - as one would expect in this city smiley - winkeye. Plus folk who take the opportunity to set out a stall ala car boot sale to get rid of their unwanted junk.

To hold the festival my road and the one parallel, plus most of the road running up the hill, are closed to traffic and all the cars are moved to where ever their owners can find a parking space. Actually this is one of the most fascinating things to me - my road without a car parked on it. When I went out early this morning there was just this bare tarmac with no cars anywhere. Very disconcerting indeed!

Local festival thingy

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

A street with not a single car parked on it smiley - bigeyes Come the revolution... smiley - winkeye

So, why's it called Hanover Day?

Local festival thingy

Post 3

GreyDesk

As an added bonus, after the stalls had been packed up and before the road was repoened, we had an industrial sized street sweeping machine clear up all the rubbish.

Oh happy day! That NEVER happens here because the road is always choked with cars. The little blokey who comes along with his brush and barrow every couple of weeks does his best, but there is a limit to what he can get done.

It's called Hanover Day because the neighbourhood is called Hanover. And no, I've no idea why it's called that.

Local festival thingy

Post 4

Lighthousegirl - back on board

* tries really hard to imagine GD's road with no cars *

* fails *

* wonders where everyone found to park *

It does sound like a lot of fun smiley - biggrin

Local festival thingy

Post 5

GreyDesk

It is truly strange. There's the wide expanse of rough and aged tarmac with these worn tyre grooves running down the middle of the road. In fact because all the traffic runs along these tracks, it's affected the rest of the road such that there is a little ridge bang in the middle of the road - which is of course never driven over - caused displacement of the road surface from the tyre grooves.

Local festival thingy

Post 6

McKay The Disorganised

I would assume it was called Hanover out of respect for Prince George who did so much to make Brighton popular - and who was of the House of Hanover.

If all else fails - go for the obvious - that's me.

smiley - cider

Local festival thingy

Post 7

Phred Firecloud

I have another set of tools inside the RV, drill, drill bits, hammers, screwdrivers, wire-strippers, hacksaw, tape measures, vice-grips, adjustable wrenches, vice grips level, screws, picture hangars, electrical tape, piano wire, WD-40 and other handy things...the motorcycle also has a complete set of metric tools in the saddlebags.

Writing about Ken took the edge off the missing tools for some reason.

I could write a book about Ken:
- There was the time he got irritated with another friend and took a dump in his shower.
- Once he caught another friend with his wife and beat him badly with the baby's tricycle.
- We left him alone in our house for a weekend to go diving and came back to a house full of derelicts.
- He came back to our house drunk and confused and broke into the neighbor's place and went to sleep on his couch...the neighbor was a VP for the biggest bank in town.
- Once he got a broken beer bottle in the throat and almost died...a bad habit of drinking and getting loud and in your face will do that for you

But he was very bright and we both liked and trusted him implicitly when he was sober..we never sensed a mean side to him at all...ever. He had three real brothers who stopped talking to him 20 years before he died...

...the tool kit was missing a few things anyway...a 10mm box end for one thing...

Local festival thingy

Post 8

Phred Firecloud

Heck...sorry.. this is the wrong thread...my apologies smiley - sorry

Local festival thingy

Post 9

Ken sounds a lot like some of the people who hang around bus stops in Austin every day smiley - bigeyes

Local festival thingy

Post 10

Lighthousegirl - back on board

And as non sequential comments go that has to be one of the most interesting I have read for a while! smiley - biggrin

Local festival thingy

Post 11

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Makes one wonder who Ken was.

Local festival thingy

Post 12

I've had some... interesting conversations (if you can call them conversations) with Kens.

Local festival thingy

Post 13

Phred Firecloud

Roymondo,

This is the thread the Ken post was meant for...it explains a little about who Ken was.

F2011264?thread=3354611

GD is on my friends list probably because of a conversation we had about Kipling a while back. So I get his journals...and there are some strange people in Austin bus stops...Ken could hold his own, sober, in any converation.

Ken liked to quote Kipling at length.

Key: Complain about this post