A Conversation for Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA

st.john's college

Post 1

kat

i think that was pretty insulting what you have to say about st. john's college. Although it is an expensive school, by stereotyping to rich white kids, you forget other kids who work very hard and take out many loans to go there. The great books program at St. John's is considered to be one of the best liberal arts programs in the country.

You really ought revise that part of your entry.

st.john's college

Post 2

GTBacchus

Kat,

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry that you took offence at my characterization of my alma mater. (Are you a Johnny, too?)

I am a St. John's College alumnus, and I am deeply proud of the School. I agree that the great books program is a shining gem of higher education. I am also aware that the majority of Johnnies are rich white kids. Of course there are many students who take out lots of loans and receive other types of financial aid, and there are even a few students who aren't 'white'. I do not intend to suggest that these students don't exist or don't count or something, nor do I intend to demean the St. John's program.

I think it should be apparent to the reader that a somewhat dark view is taken as a point of style throughout the entry. Compare my comments about the demographic makeup of Santa Fe and about the work done at the Santa Fe Institute (where I worked for several months, so I'm entitled to make fun smiley - tongueout). My cynical hyperbole are made about places and institutions that I love dearly. If this does not come across, then I apologize for my limited skills at self-expression.

I'll consider revising it, but I don't currently see that it's necessary. I'll think about it, and I'll keep tabs on this thread in case you or someone else reply.

GTB smiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more