A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 1

Smij - Formerly Jimster

We've set up this forum for people who are with the WW2 People's War community, which reaches its conclusion on 1 February.

For those people already with h2g2, please keep this conversation clear of chat and topic drift as we'll need to be able to dive in, see who's posted and help any WW2 people asking for help with their accounts as quickly as possible.

And for our new members from WW2, we're predicting that the main problem will be that accounts will be automatically pre-moderated if they're migrated after the site closes. For your own safety, please don't post your account details. Just post a message to say that you've just joined us and we'll see if we can fix the problem from here.smiley - ok

Finally - a huge welcome to all of you. We hope we can offer you a home from home.

Best wishes,

Jimster
(on behalf of the h2g2 team)

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 2

Dancer (put your advert here)

Hi WW2 people,
Sorry to hear youre being 'moved' but youre reaching a good place smiley - smiley

Welcome to h2g2 (On behalf of the entire h2g2 community - if I may presume...)

smiley - hsif
Dancer (Ducks Jimster's swing) - Sorry, I just had to smiley - run

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 3

Palaisglide

Ok we got here only to discover I have two sites on here. The new one we were asked to sign up to at the end of BBC WW2,smiley - wah bare as the proverbial beggers cupboard. There is also the twin of the old BBC WW2 site with all my information and stories.
Question assuming the old H2g2 site will be closed down soon will all that information be posted on the new H2g2 site I now have.
Frank.smiley - wah

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 4

ex4thhussar

Hi Jimster

Many thanks for the welcome and promise of help..... we may very well need it !

p.s. It might be timely to remind old users of the WW2 site that the Front Page still offers links to lots of help in researching.

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 5

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Ah! I've answered Frank's comments on another page, but if anyone needs help, there's no need to create a new account. It's just as easy for us to move the account over. Just tell us the U-number of the WW2 account you wish to be moved and we'll do all the rest.

(And apologies if there's a delay here - annoyingly, I'm off sick just now and am logging in from home)

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 6

ex4thhussar

Hi Jimster

i was going to say "As an example of how you can get help on this site" but then I thought I'd come clean and admit I need help myself smiley - smiley
I can't see an EDIT BUTTON on my Personal Page.... I know it must be there, but where?

Please keep the answers simple because you're dealing with an oldie!

Many thanks

Ron

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 7

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Ron,

Welcome to Hootoo! smiley - hug

Go into "My Preferences" and make certain you are in Brunel.

If you change it to brunel, then you can go into "all about me" you should see your Edit Button for your Intro Page then smiley - ok

lil xx

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 8

ex4thhussar

Hi

I'm not used to such a quick response and USEFUL TOO smiley - cheers

I've switched over to Brunel and the edit key was very visible.

Many thanks and don't be surprised if I come back for more help another time

Best wishes

Ron

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 9

Smij - Formerly Jimster

And excuse me for butting in, but there was one other little thing that needed doing too, Ron, so I've taken the liberty of doing that and you should now find your account has migrated fully too.

Let us know if you have any problems - we've got score of volunteers who are able and willing to help, so that you should be able to get answers even over the weekend.

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 10

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Hi Jimster..

.. Sorry to hear you are under par smiley - hug Get well soon smiley - smooch

Ron,

I have left you my ACE's welcome in your Personal Space, to help you find your way about smiley - ok

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 11

ex4thhussar

Hi Jimster

For which much thanks.

I think I'm going to like this site !

Ron

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 12

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit _not_ giving the migration link
"smiley - boing < F28171?thread=2199220 >, member 'doverrog' < U643264 > has Signed in to HooToo, only the actual migration has to be done . . . "

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 13

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Thanks, Traveller - that's fixed now. smiley - smiley

Removed

Post 14

Len (Snowie) Baynes

This post has been removed.

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 15

Len (Snowie) Baynes

Dear Friends

We have a Japanese lady friend, name Ayako Matsui, who has been one of the leaders in establishing the incredible sport, Tennis for The Blind in Japan, where it is now well established. The ball is soft, larger than an ordinary tennis ball, and makes a tinkling sound as it travels through the air. It is played on a standard badminton court, with a cords laid temporarily on the lines, to be felt through the soles of the players. feet (We have an extraordinary video of games in progress.) Sighted players are blindfolded.

She proposes to visit England again, this time to endeavour to get the sport started here, and she has asked me for a point of contact with the BBC. Her email address is: [email protected]. As a point of interest, I was taken prisoner of war after the fall of Singapore, and worked on the infamous Thai-Burma railway. I have articles on your programme BBC History WW2. My identification is 'lesliebaynes 240737.' known as 'Len (Snowie) Baynes'. My page number is below.

Sincerely

Len Baynes
www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ww2/u240737

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 16

Len (Snowie) Baynes

Dear Jimster
I'm 87, and slow up top. I do wish to transfet to h2g2. Do I understand that my personal WW2 page is now defunct, and should be removed from my email signature? If so, what is my full h2g2 address to replace it?
Yours Len (Snowie)Baynes

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 17

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"There is a message on your Personal Space:
'Hi there (no new posts) h2g2 3 Hours Ago No replies'

'Natalie' was so kind to transfer your account smiley - smiley "

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 18

ex4thhussar

Hi Len

I accept the 87, can't accept the 'slow up top'!

Glad to see that you've made the transition, we could do with a few more ex-WW2 site members.

You will find that there are lots of people on this site who will be happy to help with any technical problems but I have no doubts that an old stager like yourself will get along fine.

Just to clarify....
As you well know, the 'old' site is now sealed off for further input, BUT you can edit your Personal Page on this site. The page itself is very well laid out and it's features should be easily recognisable from the 'old' site.

Looking forward to your alway fresh input and comment on other peoples entries.

Best wishes

Ron
AKA Goldstein.R., ex 4th Queen's Own Hussars

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 19

Palaisglide

Well done Len, I just knew you would make it, your input is needed having read some of the strange postings on this site.
Franksmiley - cheers

Welcome to WW2 members

Post 20

Len (Snowie) Baynes

Did you receive 'A Pearshaped Tale'? Unlike my Vita' poem, sent later, it was not acknowledged. Len (Snowie) Baynes.

Key: Complain about this post