A Conversation for Chrono Trigger

Writing Workshop: A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 1

MagicManZach

http://www.h2g2.com/A498323

Alright, I noticed there weren't any entries on this in the edited guide, so I whipped one up. Very comprehensive (I hope). Thanx for checking it out!

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 2

shrinkwrapped

A great start on a game treasured by SNES RPG fans (me being one of them). What's there is excellent, but it does end rather abruptly. What are the best features of the game? More on the story? What sets it apart from other, not-so-good games of the genre? Etc...

As I said, I love what's there.

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 3

Marc, RoD, Muse of BAATPTADOUBRA. NAVO,ASPATB,SGLGAHOMQ.

Just poking my head in to say, great entry so far on a great game! I would agree, however, that it could use a bit more in terms of features, explanation of the storyline, etc...

And since when did Azala create Lavos? I must have missed that part, although I've played through the entire game about 4 times... I always assumed Lavos was just an evil interstellar thing that picked that planet to suck on for a few million years, then would move on to the next... or maybe I'm just not that observant. smiley - smiley

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 4

MagicManZach

Actually, that _was_ a little off: Lavos already existed, but Azala called it down to that particular planet after his final defeat at the hands of the party.

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 5

Marc, RoD, Muse of BAATPTADOUBRA. NAVO,ASPATB,SGLGAHOMQ.

Ahh, I get it... that's what the big scene after his defeat was all about...

What I wonder about is the use of "A.D." and "B.C."

It's not Earth, but... smiley - erm

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 6

MagicManZach

Heheh. It could be Earth -- we had Telepods in the 11th centur...

Never mind.

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 7

Martin Harper

Hmm.
Worth having a spoilerfree overview for those who don't want the plot twists given away? seems your char descriptions give a little too much info...?

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 8

Michael Notforyou

I love Chrono Trigger.

I think the last section needs to be taken out for inclusion in the edited guide. I think you might write some of the opening plot of the game (first 1-2 hours of gameplay).

*Michael Notforyou*
Official Scout, h2g2
Researcher U113408

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 9

(T.T.)Mr.Mike(Muse of silly violists, Thingite sandwich maker, with Tommy his pet semi-sentient Platypus){(-1+7)*7+0^31=42}

The article needs an addition about gameplay.

Unlike the FF games Chrono Trigger adds to the game because you can see your enemies before you fight them, some are avoidable, and you fight the enemies where you met them, instead of to the side like most RPG's.

Fighting tech's are also one of the greatest and most original parts of the game and shouldnt be left out.

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 10

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Hey, Zach -- what do you think about the above comments?

smiley - smiley
Mikey

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 11

iaoth

Nice entry. Actually Crono doesn't say ~anything~, something I find very irritating. He has absolutely no personality at all...

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 12

MagicManZach

On the contrary. Chrono has _one_ line, in the "slideshow" ending. "What ARE you two doing?".

I rather like the lack of dialogue, since it lets you superimpose your personality onto Crono. Or something to that effect.

And I should add something about the battle system. Give me a few minutes.

-- Zach

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 13

iaoth

Aha.. I had no idea. I just found the in-game lack of personality disturbing. I got the impression that he was really some kind of psychotic autistic schizophrenic serial killer. Maybe that's just me.

True, they probably intended the player to fill in the gaps, but I don't think a total absense of personality works. That's one of the two things I don't like, the second being the repetitive nature of RPG games in general.

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 14

MagicManZach

Yea, it's true.

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 15

Orcus

This article looks OK to me albeit ending abruptly as people say above.

Just bumping it up to the top of the queue to see what others think again smiley - smiley

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 16

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Yup.

Like this entry - but its ending almost gave me whiplash. If somebody else that's familiar with the game is willing to pick it up and write the ending, then I vote to move it to the writing workshop. MagicMan, where are you?

A498323 - Chrono Trigger

Post 17

Dancer (put your advert here)

Well, MagicManZach isn't posting too much but he's around (latest post was 5 days ago) and he is subscribed to this thread.

Hope he'll answer this next time he's online as it is quite a good entry.

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Thread Moved

Post 18

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'The Writing Workshop'.

Key: Complain about this post