A Conversation for Linux Users' Group

Application Form

Post 41

MaW

Yes, that's a School as in a department in a University (they insist upon calling them Schools). Haskell is documented in my Edited Entry on the subject, on today's front page smiley - smiley Or from my Space, of course.

Application Form

Post 42

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

It looks like Lisp but less confusing (and with fewer parantheses, which can only be a good thing). Does your university use it instead of Lisp?

Application Form

Post 43

MaW

More or less. Haskell is a much purer functional language than Lisp, so although it is similar, it's quite different in some respects. Thus Lisp is used from time to time as well (especially since some of the staff know Lisp and not Haskell...)

However, they don't teach us Lisp in any of the standard modules, but Haskell is compulsory.

Application Form

Post 44

jonnyara

Name: Jonnyara
Sex: Male
Distribution of Linux: After loads of nightmares I finally settled on Mandrake, currently Mandrake 8.0 (8.1 is out very very soon though)
Experience: about 1 year, although really less.

I use my computer loads and loads, and went over to Linux because I got fed up with the hassles windows would always give me. It was in the beginning an annoying task as I have loads of non-standard and unique hardware and as such had fun trying to get it all together.

Mandrake though helped me in this respect, its installer is awesome, really really awesome, and it auto-detect my CD writer and set it up and stuff like that.

The most important piece of advice before installing Linux I can give is to write down all the IRQs etc of all the hardware in your system as you will ocassionaly need it, especially if you have any ISA cards.

Application Form

Post 45

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Name: Tube
Sex: Male
Distribution of Linux: Suse 6.4 and a non-commercial one
Experience: I've been running it for over a year, but don't fiddle much with the system.
The Suse runs on a PI 90 MHz and is used for surfing from University and some basic typing (I kicked StarOffice off the HDD because it was way to slow with the machine). The other one functions as a router to our flat's LAN which hooks up to a DSL flat-rate connection; a boot-and-forget machine.

So, my understanding of Linux is rather limited. I managed to install it and run it. Nothing more. Does that qualify me?

Tube

Application Form

Post 46

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

You don't have to *know* anything about Linux, you just have to *use* it. That's why this is a *user* group, see?

Mind you, that would disqualify me... I'm not actually using it ATM...

Application Form

Post 47

Tube - the being being back for the time being

smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post