A Conversation for Linux Users' Group

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 1

jonnyara

I don't know if anyone remembers but a while ago I said that I was going to write a guide to seting up, configuring and using linux designed for people (like me) who have very little or no programming experience.

Well, I've been really busy (got a new job) but things have settled down now so I'm picking things up where I left them in complete disarray.

I am going to write a introduction this weekend and I will post it on the guide. I was then hoping to get conversations started on the various pitfalls: X config, compile errors, things like that. I don't want to duplicate information that's already available on the net but instead concentrate on making things easy to understand and follow, concentrating on using GUIs to configure but also explaining what they are doing.

Anyone want to help?

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 2

MaW

There's one major, major problem with a project like that, especially if it focusses on graphical tools - there are no standard ones at all. Ximian's Setup Tools might get there eventually, but until then there's a massive amount of distribution-dependence. I'll help with Slackware advice if I can, but that's mostly involving editing of configuration files because Slackware's that kind of distro...

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 3

jonnyara

maybe it would be a better idea to have a mandrake section, a red hat section, a suse section etc? Or just go straight into general stuff, like what are HOWTOs?

I have to admit that I tend to use text files to configure things because it is easier in the long run than finding and using a gui. In some cases though when there is a standard GUI it is much easier eg samba and SWAT. As well as that it is often much easier and quicker to use a GUI like kppp than the command line, especially if you are doing something simple. In my opinion the biggest problem with linux is not that it is hard (I don't think it is, its just powerful) but that you have to think in a completely different way to using windows. I think that what is needed is something to read that explains simple stuff, for example a small note that said /dev/ttyS0 is equivelent to COM1 would have helped me loads a while back.

The thing about linux is that it interacts with the hardware in a way that makes it look and feel alien to a windows user (poor things have had the mechanics hidden from them for such a long time) I am of the opinion that more people would use linux if it wasn't so intimidating. The point of this guide would be to make it less so.

A point in fact is that the first distribution I tried was debian. It scared the hell out of me and I couldn't get online to fix it. It took me a very long time to relise that if I had written down the irq and io then I would have been able to sort it out with a quick edit of modules.conf and a modprobe. These are the sort of things I am talking about to start off with.

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 4

MaW

Yes, definitely. Something that also mentions how Linux handles some things differently to Windows, and probably something that mentions that Windows' way isn't the only or best way to do things, which I think some people think and so automatically reject Linux because it's not like Windows.

Although of course, that's the entire point...

I think maybe the best place to start would be with some generic stuff that just explains what all the different bits actually do, which is a big start because then at least people know what to go and look for on the LDP or in their HOWTOs directory.

A basic introduction to the Linux shell would be good too, covering the differences between the different shells and more importantly I suppose the differences between the shell and DOS. It took me ages to remember to use 'rm' instead of 'del', 'ls' instead of 'dir' etc. etc. An explanation of symbolic links and the homogenous filesystem would also be exceptionally useful. This is a big project. University of Life, or something more informal?

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 5

jonnyara

Actually I think the focus of it should be about how linux an windows compare. Not a shouting match or anything like that, more a non-judgemental comparison, like ls does the same thing as dir, or in fact a discussion about the command line in general would probably be appropriate I think as that isn't really part of windows any more.

I think you are right about the generic stuff. Something like an essential linux primer.

This is a big project, your right, I do think that informal might be better though, we should see how it goes.

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 6

MaW

Yes, that does sound like an ideal kind of thing.

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 7

Rebus

I'm very willing to help out with a SuSE section, and a GNOME section, should they appear (sorry, I don't have much experience with KDE). I'll also gladly help out with any minor technical nits, like DOS/Win COM1 -> /dev/ttyS0, and even dealing, in a non-threatening way, with the concept of the /dev directory.

I'll pretty much take most things that you can throw at me smiley - smiley

Rebus

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 8

MaW

Well, I for one don't think you need to apologise for not using KDE - I have installed and occasionally use the odd application (mostly Konqueror, as it works around some of the problems in Galeon I encounter on certain sites, although it also has problems of its own), but on the whole I find GNOME provides for my needs more than adequately, especially since KMail is pathetic compared to Evolution (most particularly in the area of IMAP support).

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 9

jonnyara

Cool Rebus, do you want to do something on the /dev directory then?
I am going to do a Mandrake section, and an introduction over the next couple of days. Well, as a start anyway. I don't use KDE either (or gnome, I use ICE) so if anyone who wants to that....

I am also going to write a list of things that should be in a guide and we should moderate that and then offer it open to anyone who wants to write them I think.

Any suggestions??

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 10

Rebus

jonnyara said:
> Cool Rebus, do you want to do something on the /dev directory then?

Sure, but I don't think that going into great detail is necessary. I'll also pitch in with a SuSE section - if anyone else wants to help, I'll be appreciative. I want to wait until I can see your introduction, though, so I know quite what style to write in.

Some suggestions for topics (in something of an order):

* Brief Linux history
* GNU/Linux or Linux (maybe, maybe not - it's only a suggestion, after all!)
* Desktop environments - GNOME, KDE, WindowMaker, etc. (do you think that covering window managers is a good idea?)
* Distributions (overview)
----- Distribution specific things, like setup tools
* Other software available
* Command line goodies (as this is a newbie guide, you may want to leave this skimpy - how many newbies use the DOS command line any more? Don't scare them!)
* Ideological differences between DOS/Windows and Unix/Linux - i.e. mounting disks as opposed to having drive letters, device files as opposed to operating system recognized special names like COM1, and the concept of users and groups.
* XFree86 Configuration (although it, perhaps, deserves an entry on its own, and recent popular distros are good about detecting video cards)

Like I said, just some suggestions.

Rebus

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 11

xyroth

my website already covers some of this. feel free to steal as much info from it as you like. (or better yet, link to it)

the site is linked from my user page, and then visit the siteindex and link to unix. that gives you a range of stuff to link to.

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 12

MaW

> * Ideological differences between DOS/Windows and Unix/Linux - i.e. mounting disks as opposed to having drive letters, device files as opposed to operating system recognized special names like COM1, and the concept of users and groups.

They're not ideological differences, they're just different. I could write this part.

What kind of audience are we writing for? I assume we're writing for the 'interested' and the new users, so not too much absorbing detail, just enough to get people started, is that right?

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 13

jonnyara

>What kind of audience are we writing for? I assume we're writing >for the 'interested' and the new users, so not too much absorbing >detail, just enough to get people started, is that right?
yeah I think so.

The idea is for those who already know what linux is but are either a) too scared to start or b) don't know where to start. Specifically those without programming skills or advanced computing knowledge.

It's my opinion that more people would use linux if it didn't seem so intimidating.

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 14

MaW

Okay, well, I'll write something some day but I have exams and a whole list of other projects to do, so...

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 15

jonnyara

OK, well here is my introduction. Please tell me what you think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A681473

Its a bit late, but then I had a major server crash to deal with (a hard disk failed, it made a sound a bit like a ping pong ball and died).

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 16

MaW

It's quite nice, although I'm afraid I'm one of those irritating people who insist on calling it GNU/Linux when writing properly (I don't bother in casual conversation) because Linux is just the kernel, it would be useless without the GNU tools that make everything else go.

KDE and GNOME also aren't window managers, they're desktop environments. A window manager is one of the smallest things they provide.

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 17

jonnyara

fair point about kde and gnome, although I'd have to say that wouldn't they be covered in the same section? I'll change this.

As for GNU/Linux, I agree with you in principle but i think its confusing, most people wouldn't understand the distinction and might even possibly think that GNU is something else entirely, if you read it looks like GNU or Linux. For the sake of clarity I'm going to stick with just Linux.

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 18

MaW

I think the linked Entry on Linux explains it, actually.

I might write something on other Free or Open Source operating systems some day, but first, when I have time, how about XFree86 configuration on GNU/Linux - by hand.

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 19

Rebus

I can sympathize with the crash. While using old hard drives, one made an interesting wugga-wugga noise, as if it were unbalancing, then the system died. Fun.

I like the introduction for the most part; now to get writing... Where do you want additions to the article posted?

One final thing: slashdot might be an interesting site, and it is certainly entertaining, but I question its value to new users because of the, well, attitudes of some of the users. That's not to say that I don't visit it at least twice a day smiley - smiley Maybe a warning would be appropriate.

Rebus

h2g2 Newbie guide

Post 20

jonnyara

Hmm, I think that here is as good a place as any to post new articles. Do you think we should include a links section at the bottom of each of the pages? or should I create a new entry which works as a kind of index which we can all be added as researchers?

I agree with you about slashdot but I do think its important to have some insight into the "scene" whilst using linux, but a warning would probably be appropriate - something like "take care, some of the people who contribute to this site are angry or obsessed" or "slashdot - don't always take things seriously". Does anyone know of a better site? I was hoping that linux.com would be better by now, but its transition is taking a long time (or at least it feels like it).

Key: Complain about this post