A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

The New Hitchhiker Radio Scripts

Post 1

Dizzy H. Muffin

Hi ho, this is YK here. I've got a big project in the works: a continuation of the H2G2 radio series! Or at least the scripts. Er, here: http://www.h2g2.com/A486722

Post 2

Edan

Sorry, but I'd forget the idea totally.
There's no WAY you'll pull it off. Sorry, the only people who should be writing a continuation of the radio series is Douglas.
The reason being there are FAR FAR FAR too many people who *think* they can write like Adams but reality has a quirky habit of slapping everyone in the face with whatever these ppl "churn" put.......
Sorry, jus tmy opinion. My vote: drop the idea IMMEDIATELY smiley - smiley
Sure, you'll be TRYING to adapt his books (probably) but that makes no difference (anyway, the books came after teh radio series)

Post 3

Dizzy H. Muffin

Nobody mentioned the books. One of the rules I'd put is, "No ideas from the books".

And I already HAVE decided to drop the idea. Instead, I'm going to make an H2G2 RPG. I'd like input from as many people as possible, and as many non-player characters as possible (and ALL playable characters) will be actually based on real researchers of the H2G2.

Post 4

Edan

Hmmm. ok. Glad you saw sense smiley - smiley

And RE: the books, err, well as you know Hiker was written befor eth ebooks but don't you think if the books had been FIRST there would have been a lot more similarities with the radio series? The idea of ignoring the boons and writing NEW stuff for the radio series is even worse smiley - smiley (btw, didn't you see the "probably" in there?)

Hehe, anyway, good luck with the RPG. Much better idea that (if done right) and glad you saw sense...

Post 5

Dizzy H. Muffin

Well, part of THAT was due to when I saw "The Missing Chapters of 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish'" which was a continuation of SLaTfAtF and consisted almost entirely of references to previous hitchhiker literature, one semi-original scene*, and a parody of a scene in Star Wars.

Also, you said "You saw sense" twice.

Say, how'd YOU like to be a character? This is all I have so far:

One of the Editors trips over a wire in one of the Towers, knocking over and unplugging something rather important. In the ensuing confusion, STUMPED, the H2G2 guild of supervillains, takes over, headed by the nefarious Masque of the Red Rejection E-Mail. Shortly thereafter, the hero (possably an Arthur Dent-esque character) lands on the World of H2G2 and is arrested for asking about the political situation. Assisted by a young man with the unlikely moniker of YK (smiley - winkeye), he escapes from the prison and they set about saving the world, possibly with the assistance of the Starship Titanic. And I've sort of got the final battle all planned out.

[*Footnote: The semi-original scene consisted of a room two doors and the characters trying to decide which one to go through. Walking through one got you to the next place; walking through the other one got you vaporized. There was a computer that either told the truth or lies; no one could ever tell which. You could ask it a question, but there was no way to know if it was telling the truth or not. ]

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more