A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Historical Misconceptions

Post 1

Ghost_Warrior

Does anyone have anything about an historical event where the whole truth is not taught and therefore assumptions are made in regard to the event.

An example of this is the dropping of the first nuclear weapons in Japan. The general of the Japanese military, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, was quoted as giving six moths of victory once the Americans entered the war. As the Americans had the ability to turn their sizable indusry to manufacturing war machines. The Americans, Russians and Japanese were persuing peace talks at the time. To show that America would not allow the Russians to do the same as the Japanese in their wake the American Government had to give a demonstration of military strength. If the peace talks had concluded earlier the Americans would not have had a hostile target to demonstrate their new weapons on.

Post 2

Thorn

I don't know... maybe some of the rife political scrambles involved to beat the axis-alliance from developing atomic weaponry first?

*shrug*

the scary thing, to me anyway, is that there are a few cases where seems they got very close (nearly) to doing it, just about. The fascists I had meant.
smiley - yikes

History might have wound up very, very different if it had been the other way around. I don't want to have to think about that right now though.
Too many tests.

Well, perhaps that is a personal filter/judgement thingy I am giving on my take of it, seeing as how I am part-Jewish.
*shakes his head kind of a, why- sort of a gesture*

Or what was it, a professor of social psychology who held 4 masters degrees and a PHD had said in a summer course I was taking, that they do not tell you it in texts, just about barely ever, but the other job that Freud had...
I don't wanna post it.
Might get modded for saying what it was that he was minorly known for inventing.

Post 3

Thorn

It does make things a bit more difficult to keep a straight face when reading or hearing about freudian analysis though.

Taste is questionable, so my apologies for if anybody in their curiousity had looked it up and then gotten offended.

smiley - sorry

Post 4

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Richard III and the Princes in the Tower.

I've just finished reading Josephine Tey's novel The Daughter of Time. Very good. Excellent. And has some interesting, and seemingly well backed up theories. I don't know enough to criticise it intelligently.

TRiG.smiley - smiley

Post 5

Ghost_Warrior

Why did you have to bring up novels? Now everyone who has read "The DaVinci Code" will put in their two cents. Maybe I should specify this thread to events with large quantities of HISTORICAL documentation, not RELIGOUS OR POLITICAL PROPAGANDA?

ALL REFERENCES TO THE DAVINCI CODE ARE BANNED FROM THIS THREAD

Post 6

Thorn

smiley - headhurts Good book/story, too bad the politicos and the religiously obsessed had to go and try to find a life's meaning sort of a sense out of it.

smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - skull

My, my, my... but just how stupid are sections of the general public anyway?

Owch.

smiley - sorry, shutting up now, am I. I am.
*Does so*

Post 7

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

"ALL REFERENCES TO THE DAVINCI CODE ARE BANNED FROM THIS THREAD."

Well, only one person has mentioned it so far.

TRiG.smiley - winkeye

Post 8

Thorn

*Already censored himself on that [one], I had, had I*

*Shrug*

Post 9

Ghost_Warrior

The usual suspects that you need to look for in this sort of situation is where those who won, (history is only written by the winners) had more gain by the misconceptions of others than the facts. I go back to WW2 and Japan. If the Russians knew that the Americans only had two nuclear weapons they might not have been as nicesmiley - biggrin as to go home and lick their wounds until they could build their own a-bombs, to date Russia is responsible for the single largest detonation of any explosive device on this planet.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more