A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Ancestors

Post 1

bobstafford

Hi
Anyone got any interesting ancestors .
Mine were Kent smugglers (more detail if this thread gets going) please let us know.

bs

Ancestors

Post 2

worldgirl84

I found out I am related to clan Shaw which I find terribly interesting given their history. However I can't vouch for the interest in the UK given that it is probably "just being Scottish". But I live in America and after researching back more than a hundred years I deserve to feel special about finding a name and a country.

"The Shaws are an ancient Scottish clan, which played a considerable role in Highland history, and which traces its ancestry to the old Earls of Fife and thus the royal line of the Scottish kings...The Shaws later migrated to the Americas with the fleet of the Mayflower."--From Wikipedia

My great grandmother was a Shaw.

Ancestors

Post 3

Thorn

Some of my ancestors were inventors of a sort.
I think oe of them studied bacteriophages and used them to clean up part of the East River... maybe it was. I m,ight not be remembering quite correctly though.
Another one did stuff that had to do with the development of charcoal water-filters. Hmm...

Ancestors

Post 4

Thorn

1 of them, I had meant.
smiley - silly typos. smiley - doh

Ancestors

Post 5

astrolog

One of my ancestors was Rhys ap Tewdwr, king of Deheubarth and an ancestor of Henry VII and all the other Tudors

Ancestors

Post 6

Ghost_Warrior

One of my ancectors, if a spectre can claim such mortal ties, was a leader of the resistance during the turkish invasions through eastern eurpoe in the 13 century.

Ancestors

Post 7

Alfredo

Yes, I discovered a lot of interesting ancestors.
One even got burried alive !

http://www.bethelks.edu/services/mla/images/martyrsmirror/mm%20bk2%20p793.jpg

My own Journal about it

F134334?thread=354409

Greetings- alive and well - from Amsterdam

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more