This is the Message Centre for Hati

Someone else's dinner party

Post 1

Hati

This year again everyone is welcome to observe wild boars having dinner in the depth of a forest. In daytime there's mostly crows though. Raccoon dogs can be spotted in night and actually the boars don't show up in daylight either.
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/ is the website that holds the information, there you can find recorded videos of busier hours or follow the live stream (you need media player or such for real time broadcast).
mms://tv.eenet.ee/siga is the live stream. I think among other things it gives a relaxing background to everyday hassle.
Ah yes, boars become more active if it gets colder. Right now it's still warm here, around -5C or so.

Post 2

Hapi - Hippo #5

smiley - biggrin oh good smiley - biggrin

#1 used to call me swine smiley - whistle not a clue why smiley - biggrin

Post 3

Hypatia

It is such an interesting world. Sometimes I regret not becoming an anthropologist. That would have given me the excuse to travel the world observing local traditions. We don't have wild boars in our area anymore. Mountain lions are making a comeback, so perhaps one day we'll have boars again, too.

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I watched a fascinating programme last night, about squid. The researchers strapped a camera to a female of one species, and observed her colour change as she was hunted down and surrounded by another *gang* of squid, who proceeded to tear her apart smiley - sadface
It struck me when I read this journal title that someone else might have seen the same programme, nature is beautiful but sometimes deadly so.

Post 5

Hypatia

That's very true, GB. The notion that nature is idyllic is incorrect. It is all about survival. I find it curious that humans make value judgments about it. For example, I have a friend who hates cats, thinking they are somehow evil because they kill birds. We are always debating the issue, but I can't persuade him that it is silly to judge a cat for being a cat.

Post 6

Hati

I think it's not only silly but a bit hypocritical as well. One can't hate whole nature, starting with insects eating plants.

We have too many wild boars here. Hunting them is the only way to limit the population.

Post 7

Hati

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that it get's dark quite early here. 1500 GMT is pitch dark already and right now (1515GMT) the wild boars are running around already.

Post 8

Hypatia

Hati, I would find that frightening. And the darkness depressing. smiley - hug

My friend who hates cats for eating birds eats meat himself. Hipocrite is the perfect description of him.

Post 9

Santragenius V

>I have a friend who hates cats, thinking they are somehow evil because they kill birds
Don't tell him about the time when our Marvin smiley - cat caught and promptly ate a cute little red squirrel smiley - evilgrin

Post 10

Hati

ah yes, cats. We have leopard camera in the zoo: [Unsuitable/Broken URL removed by Moderator]
There you can see mamma leopard and 3 young ones from the spring 2008.

Post 11

Hati

Here's another link to those cameras: http://www.loomaaed.ee/index.php?ide=23

Post 12

Hati

Fuuny, they seem to have something against cats, too. I only posted the url to our leopard cameras.

Post 13

Hapi - Hippo #5

smiley - smiley the cats are out for dinner so it seems smiley - biggrin

Post 14

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Possibly the leopards were behaving in a manner not suitable for viewing by those with a delicate naturesmiley - blush

...although I'm sure it was entirely natural for themsmiley - biggrin

Post 15

Hati

Ah, they didn't like the https url.

Post 16

Hapi - Hippo #5

smiley - smiley I've seen them !!

Post 17

Hati

smiley - wow

Post 18

Hapi - Hippo #5

smiley - erm lousy weather by the way..
if I were a big smiley - cat I would hesitate to perform

Post 19

Hati

I can only agree.

Post 20

Hapi - Hippo #5

smiley - zen ..

smiley - erm I thought these big cats only live in warmer climates? or is this a snow resistant variety?

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Hati

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more