A Conversation for Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 1

It's been a few months, but I thought I'd try one last time to see if this thing gets accepted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A446069

-Yossarian

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 2

Jimi X

This band was so huge and has such a cult following, I'm sure there are bits that are left out. I like their music, but I'm not a fanatic (Mark the Editor is) so you might wait till he gets back from holiday for some comments.

I'd like a bit of an explanation about Keith Moon coining the band's name. That's a pretty cool story.

I guess you could also mention that they played Live Aid (didn't they?). I dunno. It's a good entry about a band, but this is Led Zeppelin - I reckon they deserve some kind of huge opus.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

- X

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Led Zeppelin could not have played at LiveAid, since John Bonham was dead at the time. But I seem to remember Robert Plant singing at it. I don't know whether the other two were there.

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 4

I did a bit of research. It turns out that the remaining band members, Plant, Page, and Jones did play at LiveAid.

Here's the link with the band list:
[URL removed by moderator]
I also agree that I've failed to make Led Zeppelin sound in the entry as amazing as they really were. Any more suggestions on how to do so would be greatly appreciated.

-Yossarian

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 5

Jimi X

I think they had Bonzo's kid playing the drums at LiveAid, didn't they?

*memory gets even more fuzzy*

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 6

I think it may have been his brother, Jason.

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 7

Yeliab {h2g2as}

I just love Emmigrant Song, thought can't spell it. The drums on it a superb, especially with good surround sound speakers smiley - biggrin

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 8

Immigrant Song is one of their better tunes on Led Zeppelin III. Playing the drum part to is possibly the most exhausting thing I'd ever done.

Now that it's in GuideML, should I post it on the peer review page again?

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 9

Please pardon my previous reply. It's late and I'm tired but I feel that even though I have reached the stage where communication is lacking, I still feel a need to reply to my fellow researchers comments...

Immigrant Song is one of their better tunes on Led Zeppelin III. Playing the drum part to it is possibly the most exhausting thing I've ever done.

Now that my entry is in GuideML, should I post it on the peer review page again?

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

You don't need to post it again. Once anybody comments on it, your subject is boosted to the top of the Peer Review so it will be in the minds of all the Scouts. At the end of the month, they will make their choices. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 11

I added the bit in the end about the band playing at LiveAid.

Hopefully this all works out. I remember reading a conversation on the guide several months ago about a researcher who claimed that getting your entry accepted for the edited guide was better than getting a raise in your job.

Maybe I should even start writing some more entries...

-Yossarian

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

Getting an entry onto the front page three days in a row certainly gives you a great sense of achievement.

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 13

Remember when that entry on Che Guevara was submitted to the peer review page. That was the talk of the town for weeks.

-Yossarian

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 14

Since today is April 2nd, and I have not heard anything from anyone regarding the entry, I am assuming it wasn't chosen by the sub-editors once again.

Well, I must say, this is quite a shame indeed. For everyone knows that any on-line encyclopedia type thing is incomplete without an article about Led Zeppelin.

Oh well, I guess I will be wallowing in my own self-pity for a few days.

Farewell, my fellow field researchers! I have decided to go on a journey to cleanse my soul in the Misty Mountains! I will be return a better and wiser person.

Tell my wife I love her so. She knows.

-Yossarian

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 15

Martin Harper

First, quick comment on markup: I think you're using the tag, which isn't used in the Edited Guide. In addition, you should replace the with + . Quotes use single quotes (') rather than double quotes ("). Names of albums and bands should use italics(<I&gtsmiley - winkeye rather than quotes. Just so's you know... smiley - smiley Another thing - You might want to break up some of the longer paragraphs at appropriate places. But aside from those few nitpicks, this is a great entry: hope it gets picked. smiley - biggrin

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 16

h0l - paranoid android.

one thing that may, or may not be worth adding - if people reading the entry are interested in more information on Led Zeppelin, a highly recommended, classic rock biography dealing with them is "Hammer Of The Gods" by Stephen Lewis. i recently finished it, and it's a corkin' good read.

Jimmy Page's obsession with the occult, particularly Aleister Crowley, whose Scottish mansion he bought, is pretty interesting too, but entirely peripheral.

probably lucky you left out the red snapper stories, tho smiley - smiley

h0l.

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 17

mav

nice entry

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 18

I fixed the guideML, so best of luck to this entry.

-Yossarian

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 19

SchrEck Inc.

Great entry, best wishes for you to get it picked real soon!

Led Zeppelin-A446069

Post 20

FCL-BW

I would just like to add my endorsement of 'Hammer of the Gods'- one of the greatest Rock and Roll books ever written. How much of it is actually true, I don't know, but it's significant that no-one associated with the band has ever sued.

It also indicates that John Bonham was Not A Nice Man.

I think the H2G2 article is OK, but seems to run out of steam after about 1971. It would, in my opinion, benefit from more detail covering the band's career from Houses of the Holy onwards. Is the LP 'Presence', for example, (the only Zep LP I've never heard) as bad as everyone says it is? If not, why was it such a flop?

Key: Complain about this post