This is the Message Centre for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Disgusting!

Post 1

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

smiley - ill

A while ago paulh asked me if it was true that a certain Icelandic alcoholic beverage was made out of rotting smiley - fishsmiley - fish - that is, if I remember correctly. Please correct me if I'm not, paulh!

Anyway, I was reminded of this when I read about the Disgusting Food Museum, which is situated in the Swedish town Malmö.

I have not yet found anything about the afore mentioned Icelandic beverage because I am about to have dinner and am disgusting enough from reading a little of this already, but see for yourself here - if you dare:

https://disgustingfoodmuseum.com

smiley - pirate

Disgusting!

Post 2

smiley - laugh I may be "disgusting enough" but I meant say "disgusted enough" smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Disgusting!

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

According to this site
http://vinepair.com/articles/booze-urban-legends/
wine and beer are filtered with fish guts.

But Iceland's Brennivin probably does not contain rotting fish. I have a friend who may have said that it *testes* as if it does.

Disgusting!

Post 4

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Copied!

Hákarl
Hákarl (Icelandic pronunciation: ​[ˈhauːkʰartl̥]; an abbreviation of kæstur hákarl, referred to as fermented shark in English) is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark or other sleeper shark which has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months.

Not looked any further!

Disgusting!

Post 5

smiley - laugh

Brennivín is quite harmless compared to Hákarl I'm sure. Never had the latter (and don't believe I ever will) but am quite used to all kinds of akvavit which is no worse than say whisky, whiskey, bourbon - you name it. (These are of course bad enough if you don't fancy their taste and/or drink too much, but that's another story.)
At keast one brand of Icelandic brennivín is stored in sherry and bourbon casks to add flavour. That might please your friend, paulh smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Disgusting!

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - ill

Thanks for warning me to avoid smiley - winkeye

smiley - piratesmiley - smooch

Disgusting!

Post 7

smiley - laugh you're welcome, darling smiley - smooch

smiley - pirate

Disgusting!

Post 8

Baron Grim

One food that I hope to never encounter is balut. It probably isn't too bad taste-wise, but ... just no.

http://youtu.be/b5WTw3D5B74

Disgusting!

Post 9

Yeah, I mean why would you try that? There is so much lovely food around, so why bother?

I may have mentioned in the past that my daughter holds a degree in human nutrition and bakes some very delicate cookies out of crickets. I have no problems with those since I also eat cows and pigs and protein is protein, but some dishes are just over the line and I have no need to challenge myself by eating an unborn duckling.

But hey, each to their own smiley - smiley

smiley - pirate

Disgusting!

Post 10

Some day, people will have to eat things they can't imagine eating now.

Disgusting!

Post 11

That is probably very true, paulh smiley - ok

Did someone mention soylent green? smiley - huh

smiley - pirate

Disgusting!

Post 12

Baron Grim

Some companies are finding success with high tech plant based meat substitutes, like Beyond Beef and Impossible Burger. But I can easily see a better, even more environmentally responsible alternative for the non-vegan but conscientious crowd, like me; insect based meat substitutes. I'd have no problem with a bug burger. Give me some cricket croquettes, or cicada salami. Yum!
I quit pork because I consider pigs intellectually akin to dogs, and I would never eat dog, but I just can't ever imagine feeling guilty about consuming insects. And I love crawfish and shrimp, and they're pretty damn bug-like.

Disgusting!

Post 13

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

many years ago a workmate of where my dad worked used to put a few milk-bottles with the tops off in his garage and left them for days smiley - ermand then drank them - a sort of err! I don't really know smiley - laughsmiley - laugh
can't really call it yoghurt ????

Disgusting!

Post 14

Baron Grim

Heh... The greatest tale of an ill advised meal I've heard comes from a coworker. She and her parents went down to a border town along the Rio Grande, either Del Rio or Nuevo Laredo I believe, one that is nowhere even near thinking about being close to the Gulf waters. They went to a Chinese restaurant in this landlocked Mexican border town. And her father ordered...

Raw oysters!

Raw oysters, several hundred miles inland, in a Chinese restaurant, in a Mexican border town.

Yes, he survived with nary a wet belch.

I guess he figured nothing that sketchy sounding on the menu could actually be bad, right?

Disgusting!

Post 15

I've had my fill of raw oysters, thank you very much. Even a tiny bit of one bad oyster left me smiley - ill for a fortnight a couple of decades ago smiley - yuk.

I liked raw oysters with smiley - bubbly fine as long as it lasted, but not so fine that I would risk another poisoning (even if they rarely have long lasting unwanted side effects.) So these days I only enjoy the smiley - bubblysmiley - cheers

My Dad used to do the same as your Dad's workmate, Prof. It was quite common here just a couple of generations ago to produce your own "thick milk" as we call it. But with pasteurization and homogenization of all dairy products it's probably not feasible these days. But you can still buy it - along with yogurt and other related stuff like ymer, skyr, ylette and what have you smiley - geek

smiley - pirate

Disgusting!

Post 16

Baron Grim

Some "fresh" scallops gave me 6 weeks of food poisoning earlier this year. I'll stick with frozen ones for any future gumbos I make.

There's a new trend in stupidity here in the States with folks insisting on "raw milk" because of some malarky that pasteurization destroys nutrients. If by neutrients you mean disease causing microbes, then sure, it does. I know someone like this. She also is on the doorstep of antivax bullsmiley - bleep by insisting on spreading out her children's innoculations rather than getting several in one visit.

Disgusting!

Post 17

"Raw oysters" of course smiley - smiley a pinch of salt/vinegar to taste and don't chew just straight downsmiley - smileyas a kid on holiday on our Yorkshire coast, with my granddad and gransmiley - smileyhe used to have 3 oysters and I had 2 dishes of cocklessmiley - magic

if they weren't so dear in town nowsmiley - grr I stopped having them..

Disgusting!

Post 18

Cheese made from raw milk is said to be quite good.

I don't eat raw meat. If dogs and cats want to do that, it's fine, but I'm not one of them.

I ate a raw caterpillar once, because my sister dared me. I was five, and didn't know any better. smiley - blush

Disgusting!

Post 19

I hear smiley - cheese made of raw milk is forbidden in the US. At least in some places. Makes you wonder (even more) why guns are not smiley - erm

Scene from an imaginary western:

"Hands up! I've got a raw milk smiley - cheese and I'm not afraid to use it!" smiley - silly

smiley - pirate

Disgusting!

Post 20

The U.S. constitution grants citizens the right to bear arms. it says nothing bout raw cheese.

Have I cleared that up? smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Disgusting!

More Conversations for Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more