A Conversation for Athletes' gender

A435719 Athletes' Gender

Post 21

Martin Harper

The technical term for more than one person is "people", not persons... smiley - winkeye

I think I'll support Ozzywiz on this one, though - it's not sexist to note that women are slower than men in general - any more than its specist to note that rats are less intelligent than humans...

A435719 Athletes' Gender

Post 22

Bright Blue Shorts

I fully agree that there is nothing sexist about suggesting that in general women run slower than men. It is an easily provable fact.

My point which I originally only put up for discussion is that the phrase "Herman Ratjen was banned from future competition; not a great loss to sport if three women could beat him!" implies that womens' running is not as important as mens'. This imbalance is sexist. Anyway someone else decide, I've put the point forward. PCness doesn't matter that much to me anyway.

And as we've now hit a flashy new set of postings here is the link in all its glorious BeebOvision:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A435719

BBS smiley - smiley

A435719 Athletes' Gender

Post 23

Shorn Canary ~^~^~ sign the petition to save the albatrosses

Ooh, I don't know about rats being less intelligent than humans. Perhaps some rats are more intelligent than some humans. Did you know that somewhere in the region of 25 - 30% of grain grown for human consumption world wide, is eaten by rodents? (I can't remember where I read that statistic.) Humans do all the work and rodents reap the rewards, clever little varmints. Would it be speciesist to say rats are cuter than humans, I wonder. Well, not if it's the truth, I suppose. smiley - winkeye

A435719 Athletes' Gender

Post 24

Gnomon - time to move on

I think you should explain who Princess Anne is, for those of us who are not British. "Princess Anne of the United Kingdom" would do.

A435719 Athletes' Gender

Post 25

Bright Blue Shorts

I personally vote this one back to the Writing Workshop as I think there is still a lot of work required for it. The previous threads explain this.

Conversation Moved

Post 26

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.

Conversation Moved

Post 27

broelan

Flea Market Clean Out:

I think this should stay here. It's a bit slight, but it's a good idea for someone to run with. The seeds are there.

Conversation Moved

Post 28

Bluebottle

This seems to have now been covered by A87730383 - Transgender and Intersex Olympians

<BB<

Conversation Moved

Post 29

h2g2 Guide Editors

Yes, I agree, Elektra has written a fantastic piece on this subject. I'll remove this now

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more