A Conversation for Arthur C. Clarke

2001/2010

Post 1

Dr. Rjinswand

Did anyone else think that 2010 was a more profound book than 2001 due to the whole discovering life on europa. That gave me chills running down my spine. Shame that Arthur wrote it as a sequel to the film rather than his book. Prefered the book to the film. More exciting with them having to go around jupiter to sling shot to saturn. Makes more sense with the life on europa though.

2001/2010

Post 2

xyroth

it sounds like you are confusing motivations and results.

arthur was inspired to write the movie 2010, and this was made into a book, but the relocation took place because it made things easier.

it had noting to do with if it was for the book or the film, it just brought the series back in line with current scientific knowledge (which arthur does a lot in his books).

2061 and 3001 are both rather good books as well.

2001/2010

Post 3

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Indeed they are..... Another trilogy in 4 parts.....

2001/2010

Post 4

Dr. Rjinswand

I agree about 2061 and 3001 being good but still think 2010 was the more profound of the 4. Really gave me shivers like no other book has yet.

2001/2010

Post 5

nothing to say.... Just revisitting old conversations....

2001/2010

Post 6

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

I agree, 2010 was the best in the series.

It had to be around Jupiter-though. There is evidence of an ocean under Europa's crust, but none on any of Saturn's moons, except maybe Encladeus. Also, it would be more reasonable to make Jupuiter a star than Saturn. Jupiter/Europa fits the plot better, so he really had little choice.

2001/2010

Post 7

He has plenty of choice, he could have written 2010 completely differently.... Without the life in the ocean's of Europa, maybe things living in the rings of Saturn, evidenced by the spokes in the rings....

smiley - biggrin

2001/2010

Post 8

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

Yeah, except for the fact that one plot is closer to reality--there's more evidence of life on europa than on Jupiter's rings.

Anyway, his origional reason for a book about Jupiter was that he wanted to use Galileo information; however he finally got tired of waiting. By that time, though, he had probably already decided that he wanted to turn Jupiter into a star.

2001/2010

Post 9

Saturn's Rings...
Although Jupiter does have them, they are very faint, and nothing to write home about...

Actually all the Gas giants have rings of a sort...

Key: Complain about this post