This is the Message Centre for h2g2 Musicians Guild

Join Here

Post 61

Sooterkin

Alright
Call me Peter

umm a year 12 music student in Australia
I play Piano, Pipe organ and when i can get my hands on one the harpsichord, percussion (tuned and untuned) Trumpet, and trombone.
I also do some composing, mostly for piano, and arranging for jazz setups

Favourite composer. God....ummm Sibelius, Beethoven, Ravel, Mozart, Mahler, and i'm starting to get into some Phillip Glass

I would really like to talk to ANYONE about serial music and composing!!!

can i join the club?

Join Here

Post 62

Ming Mang

I play flute, I'm currently attempting to learn piano (have been for 10 years, failing miserably), and I'd really like to learn to play bassoon. I also sing alto badly in the school choir.
I have no favourites, it's against my principles... and I can never connect the music with the title or the composer, so I can't even say what I like...
I doubt if I can contribute much to the guild that others wouldn't do better, as I know little about music, preferring to listen to it and play it than know about it.

¦M¦

Join Here

Post 63

Cenchrea

Hey, this is froody, sign me up!

I'm a strong Mezzo-Soprano (with a classic mezzo's curse), but I could also lend my talents as an autoharp player (not a whole lot of skill envolved, but I like to keep it interesting with much superflorous strumming and picking.) I can play a little piano, but I can only really claim that I can read music (self-taught), and it is evidenced by me being able to plunk out melodies, harmonies and chords on the aforementioned instrument. I also know my way around midi and various other digital music files, if that helps.

I don't really have any particularly favourite composers (but I like what I've heard of Mozart), and my taste in music ranges from bits of new age to dance to alternative to rock to showtunes and anything in between... I typically judge music and musicians on a case-by-case basis.

Contributions? Well, I've been a wandering minstreless at a renaissance faire for a few years now, so I have a large collection of songs from the period (and many that just sound like the period). Other than that, I'd just like to be part of the next big thing musically on H2G2, but I'm very interested in what these 'concerts' are about.

Join Here

Post 64

Afgncaap5

Yes, I was a tad confused about the concerts myself. That's the kind of thing I should ask before signing up for something, I guess.smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 65

Cenchrea

So, what's the deal with them? Is someone going to do a live webcast or a free outdoor concert or what? (Hey, if It was doable, I'd come along and jam...) Is it a euphemism, or what?

Join Here

Post 66

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

I can post a picture of myself playing air-guitar if that helps to get the h2g2 music show on the road....

Join Here

Post 67

Cenchrea

Air guitar is a start...

Join Here

Post 68

Jake, the Tanguero - Muse of Salon Style Argentine Tango

I've played guitar - though not to recently. I sing and on occasion I write songs.

My favorite composer, musical artist, or band? Gloria Estefan - however she's got a lot of competition from Lennon/McCartney, Pete Townsend, Carlos Santana, Ray Davies, Jagger/Richards, and oddly enough Bob Wills. I must admit I'm fond of Mozart and Bach, J.S. I love waltzes so Strauss has to be in there. And then there's Tim O'Brian, Bill Monroe, and the Wilson brothers, as in the Beach Boys. I should stop now I think.

I enjoy listening to music and making music, but mainly I love dancing to music. If there isn't a Dancer's Guild, maybe we could create one???

By the way, I live in Denver. So howdy neighbor!

Join Here

Post 69

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

Yes, I would like to join the Musicians' Guild.

Instruments:
I've played piano since I was very small, and it is my primary instrument. Have also played synthesizer and organ. Played Trombone for a few years, but not anymore. Recently learned to play the washtub bass and musical saw.

A few favorite composers/artists:
Chopin, Schoenberg, Satie, Sondheim, Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, Liz Story, Rick Wakeman, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Pink Floyd, Queen, Christine Lavin, Philip Glass

I'm thinking about writing an entry on the musical saw now that I'm learning it, and I look forward to sharing with other musicians here.

Join Here

Post 70

huakhwai

Well, I'm definitely up for membership of a guild, so I'm pleased you came across the Carabao entry. Sooner or later, I'm going to do a piece on the whole Thai 'peua cheewit' music scene. Do feel free to ask me to research anything musical in Thailand as and when the need arises, as it undoubtedly will.

Join Here

Post 71

ox

Thai music scene? WONDERFUL! I'm eager to read about that!

Join Here

Post 72

h2g2 Musicians Guild

We're not up-to-date on the membership roster. Here's a hearty group welcome to Afgncaap5, Sooterkin, Ming, Cenchrea, Jake, Redbeard, and huakhwai. I'm very happy to see lots of variety among us. Shazz is trying to start up a Baroque/Recorder group. If anyone's interested, do pop over to this thread: http://www.h2g2.com/F52166?thread=75439 Some of you may also be interested in the lively discussion about which are the Best Bands ever: http://www.h2g2.com/F19585?thread=75601 Finally, I should explain the part on our page about virtual concerts. At various times, h2g2 has held events which included (or could have included) a musical element. These include the Celery's black tie dinner and dance to support his bid to be h2g2's Virtual Prez, the h2g2 Parade held at the one-year anniversary of this site, and a weekend festival started by members of the Church of Weekendism. Why have virtual concerts run by fans, when we can have actual musicians set up and lend an air of reality to virtual performances? I think it would be a hoot to organize real musicians pretending to perform concerts in the various forums and events at h2g2. We would know how to describe the process of tuning up, connecting amps, and so on. Typical fans might not. I think musical events ad h2g2 might be more realistic, interesting, and fun with our help.

Join Here

Post 73

Ming Mang

*very enthusiastic agreement*
I think this is going to get very good indeed!
smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley

¦M¦

Join Here

Post 74

ox

*agrees smiley - smiley*

It's also a lot of fun!

Join Here

Post 75

Gag Halfrunt

who is the virtual conductor? who will virtually wave the virtual baton to virtually beat the (virtual) time?

Join Here

Post 76

h2g2 Musicians Guild

We don't seem to have a virtual conductor yet. I was hoping a real one might come along. smiley - winkeye

IMPORTANT STUFF:

I have created a membership graphic everyone can place on their pages. I few of you already have this. For the newer members, please visit the following page to get your graphic:

http://www.h2g2.com/A434648

Join Here

Post 77

Afgncaap5

Cool! Will do!

Oh, wait, I just realized I never mentioned my favorite composers. If you want that info, just put down Bach, fishook, Steven Curtis Chapman, Audio Adrenaline, Mozart, Beethoven, and Veggietales (sorry, couldn't resist.smiley - smiley) Oh, and "Weird Al" Yankovic.smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 78

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Hey, yeah. Go Wierd Al! smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 79

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I'm seeing a lot of new discussions for this page starting up. Please check them out.

The threads are about:

* Which are the best songs composed of only one chord
* Help sought from anyone who has attended a Reggae festival
* A new entry on solo works by members of the Beach Boys, and the author needs feedback

Join Here

Post 80

King Fabels (a.k.a. FABIUS, the confusatron)

hello.. here is King Fabels.. (maybe very few of you have still stored a very vague image of me in a couple of neurons, for once upon a time, I used to be a lot here)....

I play both electric and classic guitar, but I'm best at keyboards and piano., I can also play the drums and the mouth harp a little. I DO have a violin, but it doesn't seem to like me very much...
I like to compose all sorts of music.. and my most important influences are Elvis Costello, Killing Joke and Frank Black....

Foremost, I am applying to become a member of.....
The Musicians Guild, Fragilis Presiding...smiley - winkeye
byeeee, King Fabels

Key: Complain about this post