This is the Message Centre for h2g2 Musicians Guild

Join Here

Post 1

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

If you would like to join the Musicians Guild, please leave a post for us here.

As with many other Guilds, this one has dues. The entry fee for membership is to answer the following:

What instrument(s) do you play, or want to play?

Do you have a favorite composer, musical artist, or band?

Is there anything in particular you would like from the Musicians Guild, or anything special you want to contribute?

If you answer those questions, you can consider yourself a member. Members will be listed on our main page.

Join Here

Post 2

Kes

Herewith - one application for membership:

My main instrument is piano; I also play other keyboard instruments (harpsichord, clavicord, organ) - but nothing like so well.

I mostly play (and listen to) classical music, but there are outbursts of Zappa, Clapton, Cocker and the like.

Favourite composer depends on mood, and is selected from a long list. The current shortlist features:

Beethoven: got my hands on some autograph manuscripts - helps understand the guy
Mozart: but only when I have time and patience to be so exact
Ravel: stretches the fingers and brain
Elgar: (listening) orchestration!

What would I like to get from the Guild? Any way of bringing music into a text-based environments, 'cos I love music, and I like h2g2 a lot. ... To talk about music .... to get help with my h2g2Uni. project on Baroque Music.

What can I contribute? Well, I haven't figured out how to connect my piano to the Net yet, but I've got a room full of scores, music, books on music, so I can usually dig up useful facts.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Join Here

Post 3

Thanks for joining, Kes. I'll add the link to your Baroque music project to this page tomorrow.

I love Ravel, but I find rarely play his work. Those piano parts really are deceptive, as they sound much easier to play than they are.

I suppose I should list my own interests.

I play the piano, keyboard, and harpsichord. I also play the classical flute, and have several odd flutes I also play. I compose music in my spare time on the piano I've had since I was four years old, but have yet to figure out how to share this online with anyone (or decide if I really want to.)

My favorite composer is Bach, although I like many others like Haydn, Handel, Beethoven, and so on. I have a (some would say) embarrassing interest in musicals. Some of my favorites include Hair, Evita, Les Miserables, The King and I, Annie, and The Music Man.

When it comes to more modern music, I enjoy the Indigo Girls, Barenaked Ladies, and (another odd one) Wierd Al.smiley - smiley I also enjoy some classic rock, including Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix.

Digging up useful facts is the thing I am probably worst at. I edit stuff in my spare time, and every once in a while I get into a fit of activity where I will complete several rather huge internet projects at one time. The rest of the time, I'm happy to be a support person for the people who do the hard stuff day in and day out. smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 4

Alien

Hey this is a great idea!! smiley - smiley

Shortly: My instrument is the piano and I study in a music oriented high school and hope (note the word 'hope') to get to Sibelius-Academy next year... And favourite composers are probably Beethoven (love the Sonata Pathetique!), Tshaikovski (already listened to the Nutcracker and Swan Lake at the age of five or something)... And Fragilis - I love Les Miserables... smiley - smiley
I don't exactly know what I want from the guild and how much time I have to contribute - I have no idea where all my time goes... Kes, I *will* put the Handel online sometimes... Haven't even touched it in over a week... *ashamed*

Join Here

Post 5

Kes

Hehehe smiley - smiley No problem, Alien. Pop over to my homepage & check out the drafts so far: A420724 and A423154.

All opinions welcome! smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 6

Thanks for joining, Alien! It's nice to have a little company where Les Mis is concerned. smiley - smiley

I am putting together a list of music-related entries at h2g2. If you would like me to list your entry on Handel, just drop me the article number and I'll include it.

Join Here

Post 7

Alien

Kes, I'm trying to find time to read those... smiley - smiley

And Fragilis, as soon as I put something into the Handel-entry I'll tell you the number... And I'm also planning to write one on Sibelius - eventually...

Join Here

Post 8

J'au-æmne

What instrument(s) do you play, or want to play? I play flute, and I sing soprano. I used to play bassoon, and when I'm rich and famous and can afford the time, lessons and instruments I'd like to play 'cello and piano...

Do you have a favorite composer, musical artist, or band? Preferred composers (in no particular order): Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Tallis...

Is there anything in particular you would like from the Musicians Guild, or anything special you want
to contribute? I'd like to have a place to share music - learn about stuff I don't know, & share stuff I do. smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 9

Saint Lys, Patron Saint of Asylum Seekers

I play the flute and the heather harp I like sister hazel, Nine Days, Jessica Riddle, Letters to Cleo,and Smalltown Poets I just want to find anybody else who plays the harp cause it's not that common and it'd be cool to have someone else who does play it to talk to

Join Here

Post 10

Wow! We have a harp player already. I'm impressed. smiley - smiley I love the harp, but could never find anyone willing to teach me how to play it.

FYI everybody, I have listed all our new members on the Musicians Guild page. I have also added an index of music-related entries at h2g2. Thanks for coming on board so quickly.

Join Here

Post 11

Lizard Prince- A437203 Owner, Muse, H2G2GAs, Prince of Lizards, Carrier of Black Towels

Call me Doug.

1) I play Keyboards, Mountain Dulcimer, and Harmonica.

2)composers- Albinoni, Beethoven
musical artis- Lead Belly
band- The Doors, Nirvana

3) ROCK. After all, I'm P.S. Of Dead Rock Stars. I have little
association with living rock stars.

I'm a member!!!!

Join Here

Post 12

Thomas

I would be honored to be accepted into your Guild. My answers are, as follows:

1)I play the harmonica, trumpet, baritone, and a wee little bit of the trombone (Louie, Louie and that's about it for that instrument)

2)I adore Wagner, Strauss, and Lennon. And whomever it was that did Night on Bald Mountain...gosh...I can't remember the name!

3)I don't know much I can offer, but anything anybody needs from me, I'll do my best. I hope to gain a little knowledge to help my composing skills a little bit.

That's all I can think to put, except that I have attempted to compose a bit (in vain) and I can name every song they play on the local oldies station.

Join Here

Post 13

Kes

Looks like we're covering all the bases (or basses) here! smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 14

Welcome to the Guild, Thomas. Forgive me if I fail to write out the rest of your name. smiley - winkeye

It's always nice to have a good harmonica player around. There are those quiet moments in the evening when nothing else will do.

Night on Bald Mountain is by Mussorgsky. I'm rather surprised I remember, actually. I'm horrible with names.

And there is actually an entry with suggestions for composers. Click on the music-related entries link on the Musicians Guild page, and look under the "How To" section. You could also try contacting one of the new h2g2 Muses. They're at http://www.h2g2.com/A420661

I'll add you to our membership list momentarily. Thanks for joining! smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 15

njan (afh)

Can I join! I'm a musician! (of sorts)

I did also notice that you missed my entry on Borodin, which was the editor's main reccomendation for the weekend a month or so ago. It's on Borodin, and it's linked to at the bottom of my h2g2 page. (I'm too lazy to look myself)

Join Here

Post 16

FairlyStrange

If I could, I would appreciate being counted among this honorable group!

What instruments do I play, or want to play?........Want to play? EVERYTHING!!!!(if I only had the time!)smiley - smiley...What do I play, oh just a rhythym and bass guitar. Learned the French Horn back in High School, A little piano(just the "keys in the middle"), a little drum, a bunch of radio and more h**l than should be allowed!smiley - winkeye

Do I have a favorite composer, musical artist, or band?....eerrmmm....now THAT'S hard to narrow down!!! Any particular style, era, complexity or cultural base? Ya' know, this can run from Greek Lute to Robbie Williams!!!LOL

Actually, I have a fondness for D'Vorak and Elton John......No accounting for taste, I suppose!smiley - winkeye....oh...did I mention Garth Brooks,Charlie Daniels, ELO, Pink Floyd, or Tom T. Hall?....nevermind, h2g2 doesn't have enough memory!!!smiley - smiley

Is there anything in particular I would like from the Musicians Guild, or anything special I would want to contribute?....Right now? Don't have a lot of time....but I look forward to seeing if there might be a "nitche" that suits me as the site progresses!

NM

Join Here

Post 17

Gag Halfrunt

Hello Hello.

I play (in order of Skill (or not):-

Violin. Drums (i.e. Not Percussion) Concert Percussion (i.e. Not drums, Xylophones, That Kind of thing) Bass (electric and Double) and That's about it.

My Fav. Composer is definently Frank Zappa. But other to that I like Sir john Taverner, Russian Composition. (stuff Like Tchaikovsky, R.Korsokoff etc.) and A bit O' Vaughan Williams when I'm not abusing my ears With that Stuff.

I wrote already The Violin Article, What else do you want. Ha.. Ha..

Join Here

Post 18

Gag Halfrunt

Oh Yes, And I compose and 'ting. And I like Bartók Also.

This Is all very exiting isn't it, Only one day, and already there is momentum.

http://www.laurasmidiheaven.com/Original/

Go there and see them, I'd be Tom Davies

Join Here

Post 19

Bluebottle

I don't suppose playing the Bugle counts...? And is anyone interested in going to the Last Night of the Proms and having a meet-up? If so, say here: http://www.h2g2.com/F11003?thread=73078

Join Here

Post 20

Welcome, Doug, Njan, Fairly Strange, and Gag Halfrunt! I feel this is getting interesting very fast. Gag, you should know that Joanna has a special fondness for Russian composers also.

And yes, Bluebottle, of course the bugle counts. Otherwise, how on earth could the Guild help out with the appropriate music for an virtual military funeral? (Taps, of course.) And I think helping with music for a virtual prom might be a very good place for the Guild to start. It might be interesting collecting enough participants at this early stage, though.

Key: Complain about this post