This is the Message Centre for h2g2 Musicians Guild

Music Club for Unknown Bands

Post 1

GuitarNinja

Hi. I had the idea a while back to create a radio station on 42FM for a Non-mainstream band channel where I could periodically write about small, unknown, or otherwise up-and-coming bands who could really use some free advertising.

Due to a recent... slowness withing 42FM, I'm inclined to try out the Musicians Guild itself, this time in the form of a little corner club instead of a radio station.

I'm just wondering what people think. Would anybody help me find those thousands of incredible but poorly marketed bands? Would it take off? Would people tell me to piss off? Would anyone help write the occasional band review? Would anybody even visit to read my words?

I need your help, H2G2, to see if I can contribute my 2-cents into the wealth of information I've recently discoverd in this online encyclopedia.

Answers?

GN

Post 2

Andy

yeh a very good idea in theory but unless they have means to a
(1)has every one got a media player
(2) the means to put it onto disc to copy onto a media player(burn it) to start with
(3) they would after they have(1-2) been over come file share the music so you and every one could access it and realy i would not recomend it

my (2cents)

Post 3

GuitarNinja

No, that's not what I mean. I would basically just be a place where people like myself could feature guide entries about little-known bands that should be better-known. It wouldn't have any MP3 downloads or streams or anything, just arcticles and links to other sites with more information on the band or artist.

Any more questions? Comments?

GN

Post 4

Andy

smiley - cool if you want hand shout

do you play a instrument??? i play guitar my self i know a good site if any 1 needs chords bass riff's and words as well on some of them

Post 5

Andy

smiley - laughdont anser that just read your name and looked at your space haveing a dumb moment i guesssmiley - rofl

Post 6

Danny B

I'm sure <./>ThePost</.> would be more than happy to publish gig reviews.

Good luck with your idea - I've put a plug for it on the Guild homepage smiley - ok

Post 7

GuitarChik

I'd love to contribute, but only question is...are the "local" bands you're seeking from my continent? I know this is a website with people from both major landmasses, and the bands I would review would be from Americas east coast...would that be irrelevant here? Kudos to you though, the music industry needs to branch off more from mainstream music, and it takes people like you to help it along in the right direction...a nice way to say "F off Britney Spears...lets find some real music!" smiley - cheers

Post 8

Andy

i agree more so telling britney fsmiley - bleepoff

Long live rock n rollsmiley - smiley

Post 9

GuitarNinja

Yeah, GuitarChik. You totally hit that nail right on the head, there. Anyone you see as good music that doesn't get enough recognition, write something up yourself or just tell me and I'll look them up.

I already have some band reviews that I've written for some decent bands that didn't get popular for some reason, so just send in band names! Too many people get stuck listening to pop because it's all they're exposed to, but they are naive to the greatness of bands with talent.

Thanks guys,

GN

Ps. If there's a band you know of that needs some stuff, then I'll write it up.

Post 10

GuitarNinja

Hey, you guys! Did everyone fall asleep out there? I still need some help. Who knows any bands that don't get their deserved amount of publicity? I have a good list, but I'm always looking for more.

Don't doze off on me, Hootoo!

GN

Post 11

mute_ate

Well the problem is not that people are sleepin it just needs a framework - then you can move things alongsmiley - biggrin

Post 12

GuitarNinja

Ah. Good point. Well, to spice things up and move things along, here is a start. I'll add a link to a review I wrote once I get around to putting the review in GuideML! Then we'll see what else happen, I suppose.

Check out A2878734 for the unfinished look at The Podium. Question's, Comments, and Critisisms are all welcome on this thread, or you may message me personally. I realize that it still needs work, but at the moment I'm on a block as to what else there needs to be.

As I said, a review is forthcoming, so stay tuned!

GN

Post 13

old me

hello...i dont have time as i'm at work smiley - sadface to read te whoel thread but if i've got te jist (writing articles on small bands) i'd love to help out with that. I live in Leeds where the non-pro music scene is amazing and i used to sing a bit round the music venues aswell...if i codl be of any help lemme know...or visit my page.

Post 14

GuitarNinja

(sighs with relief that there may be some interest)

Yeah, thanks Ms. Tidal Wave, you got it perfectly. If there's someone that you think deserves some publicity, just write a little article that basicly says their name, their genre (if they can be defined to a genre), what about the band makes it so good, and maybe a link to their website if possible. Read some reviews from online eZines if you want examples of the format I'm looking for, but mostly it's just exposing people to good music that isn't popular.

Take Sufjan Stevens (www.sufjanstevens.com.) His album, "Greetings from Michigan", is amazing and filled with emotion, and he has some really great musical ideas. But for some reason, he didn't make it into the mainstream crowd. My aim (as is itterated and reitterated throughout the thread) is to give people like Sufjan the support they deserve.

Feel free also to throw band names and such at me if you want /me/ to write about them! Otherwise you can write the article as a guide entry and I'll link it to The Podium, which will be linked to the rest of hootoo once there's a few bands on it.

Thanks!
GN

Post 15

korfyr_jr

WTF! The best band ever! My friends are in it and i havent seen them perform, but ive heard great things about them! Ford prefect wrote a journal entry on them,but if you check it out, her and one of her "freinds" are having a fight so beware of the mesages!

Post 16

ehem... *subtle cough*

are you kidding?! it's not just the best band ever it rocks out loud!!!! if only it could replace DISASTER AREA....smiley - cool

warning: yes, ford and i got in a fight, and since then the convo hasn't been much other than her and korfyr talking about other things, i'll bring the subject here!smiley - biggrin

and for anyone who is interested, here is the link to their site:

http://wtfelko.cjb.net/

enjoy!smiley - ok

and this band isn't nearly unknown, but i just HAVE to mention it anyways! for anyone who is interested in heavy metal, you have to start researching my unc's band: MaidenSeattle. It's awesome! Seattle's Premiere tribute band to Iron Maiden. check it out! google it, whatever. sorry, i don't have any links to it yet, but when i do get something, i'll be sure to post it on here ASAP!smiley - cheers

well, gotta run, catchya laterz!
smiley - stout42smiley - stiffdrink

Post 17

AlexAshman

At the moment unknown, soon to be famous (with a bit of luck) - my friend's band Final Autumn ( http://www.finalautumn.tk )

Post 18

haroldawesome

Hello there. I may be new here, But I haven't come to the table empty handed. I do tend to listen to generally unheard-of bands, and here are a few... Catalonia, a Florida band, (catalonia.com)... Pedro the Lion, a band that isn't entirely unknown but still need more listeners, John Vanderslice, an extremely eccentric artist who oddly offers all of his mp3s on his website, johnvanderslice.com...

My tastes aren't directed entirely towards unknown bands per se, rather toward good, soulful music that may or may not be played on the radio... I'd love to write some reviews and or articles, so let me know if this thing goes down.

no jive, harry

Post 19

awesome.smiley - cheers

alright, long story about my recruitment (is that a word?) into an unknown band going absolutely nowhere (cuz the guy in controll of it is a moron). just get to Washington DC on band trip, we're at the airport and suddenly my ex tells me he quit his position as bass in his friend's band and that jake (our idiot manager) wants me to be the new bass for it. i say i'll do it if i can, just cuz my bf plays set. we both want to quit. sure, it sounds like fun, we'll try it out, but do you honestly think a band called No Fat Chicks is gonna get ANYWHERE?

high school... gotta love it.smiley - biggrin

Post 20

regan

Doesn't sound like it. smiley - erm Idiot managers are a pet peeve of mine. It's a long story to how that happened, but you get the idea.

Anyways, WTF sounds like a cool band. They have a cool site too. I couldn't get onto the the Final Autumn site, but they're name rocks.

regan

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for h2g2 Musicians Guild

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more