A Conversation for Post-it Notes

Ties

Post 1

prez

I am sure most of you have lain awake at night wondering why it is that all diagonal stripes on men's ties (in the UK at least) are in the direction of bottom left to top right.
Well you will now, at last, be able to sleep sound.
The reason is that heraldic shields were always divided this way unless the bearer was illegitimate, in which case the stripe was drawn top left to bottom right. The tradition was carried over to ties and as no one wanted to be thought of as illegitimate….

I am told that this is not the case in the USA and that it is possible to get ties with either orientated stripes. Can anyone confirm this? Stupidly I didn't check this out when I was in the States and don't expect to go back for some time.

Ties

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I can confirm it. But what does this have to do with Post-it notes?

Ties

Post 3

prez

Nothing - I thought "new conversation" meant entirely new conversation or I clicked the wrong button - Must learn to where my glasses!

Ties

Post 4

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Oh! I can see how that was confusing. Actually, the "New Conversation" will appear at the bottom of whatever page you are looking at.

If you just have a general question, you should click on the "Ask h2g2" button at the top of your screen. Then post a "New Conversation" on the Ask h2g2 page. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more