A Conversation for How to Write Entries in GuideML

A sad selection of graphics

Post 1

jPeMelin

When i retuned here after BBC entered the picure (nice joke there) I was sad to find that my imagelinks no longer worked. I understand the problem with copyright, but they were all mine and I feel "collectively punished", a phenomena I find extremely ugly when or wherever it shows itself.

Many of us are as good (or even better) with images than with words in expressing ourselves. Isn't there a way to allow personal graphics into H2G2?

Can't they be subjected like any other entries? Texts do have copyright-protection as well. Even if it means reducing size to some measures or kilobytes it would be better than most of the images you present in the image gallery. I'm not saying they´re bad. They're simply pointless and in most cases undescriptive.

Please take SOME action in this question. I really find H2G2 much duller since this change was introduced.

Post 2

h2g2Support

We're working on it, but we had to remove support for off-site images to prevent the BBC being liable for potential copyright infringement. Creating a solution is a time-consuming business, but it is definitely on our list of things to do.

Unfortunately it's with about 4 million other things to do too, but we do know that people want picture uploading, and we are working on it.

Mark

Post 3

IceSage

Picture uploading is a good idea. I had a really nice entry with nice pictures, then I come back and they are gone. smiley - sadface

Anyways, why did you move to BBC anyway!? Its just seems like you moved because it was a great honor or something, but yet it has just made H2G2 worse. (And confusing.)

Post 4

lil_lenon

not meaning to sound de grading to h2g2 and everything within at all, but i'm guessing the main bonus of being within the BBC is that things are a bit firmer financially, the BBC offers services, services which aren't required to make a profit. When h2g2 was its own separate entity it was, by nature, not a site that was going to create large amounts of revenue through sales of products, mainly for a lack of any products to sell. This is the way it should be, and i particularly liked the way there were always very few adverts within the old h2g2 (as is still true) so in short i'm guessing it's a lot to do with financial stability, and having a particularly secure and (fairly) quick server at their disposal, possibly much more so than would be available to them otherwise.
---
lil
tom

Post 5

LezeK

huh, the bbc server is a long way from quick and damn unreliable too (tho admittedly probly due volume of users).

The BBC Is Great

Post 6

Fadookie the Froody- Veggie Poetry@A2248733

Most non-commercial community sites like my beloved rivenguild shut down after several years of operation. This is because operating costs (servers, connection, etc.) exceed the budgets of the webmasters/mistresses. The BBC's takeover is a blessing of sorts, as h2g2 probably would have shut down in a matter of years otherwise.
Even if h2g2 is not as good as it was, it is better than imminent collapse.

--
Have at least a mediocre day :-|

First Post

Post 7

Tamago

Images are a very effective method of showing information.
If there are copyright problems then people can just link to required images, rather than displaying images within the page.

Using resources-off site like this is a practice that is frowned upon - and actively blocked - by many hosts and members of the on-line community. If someone is paying for a service it is the height of bad manners to steal their bandwidth.

Of course people can download images and host them themselves, but how is a system able to tell the difference?

Maybe the BBC could provide a system of uploading images to the BBC servers? Many BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) have such features and they are (relatively) easy to set-up.

First Post

Post 8

alji's

A Sense of Place is allowing users to upload pics of a given size. Why can't H2G2?

Alji, smiley - zensmiley - wizard of the Red Dragon (Swynwr y Ddraig Goch) (conducting a sun sign poll @ A712595)(Member of The H2G2 Guild of Wizards @ U197895 looking for wiz kids to join, though you don't have to be a wiz kid just know a bit about some subject that you think will be of interest to others or just bore the pants off them. This is an equal opportunities space open to all sexes, ages and abilities)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more