A Conversation for Editorial Feedback

Pop up ads?

Post 1

Inanna has a theory - it could be bunnies.

Over the last two or three days, when I first connect to h2g2, I've been getting a pop-up ad, inviting me to "save $s!". It seems to be happening only with this site, not with any others.

Have I got some kind of virus/bug/whatever in my web browser? Or is h2g2 taking ads, despite being at the Beeb?

Inanna, thinking it's probably the former, but just wanting to check.

Pop up ads?

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I certainly haven't seen any ads, and I rather doubt that the beeb as suddenly changed their advertising policies.

If, on the other hand, anyone can tell me how to get rid of the annoying pop-up ad for X-10 webcams (or whatever they are) that keeps popping up on my PC (although not my Mac), I would gladly ply you with smiley - choc covered smiley - strawberries.

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Pop up ads?

Post 3

Deidzoeb

Mikey,

Get ready to start plying.

Go to a website called "memepool" (try a few common URL suffixes and you'll find it) and search for the keywords "opt out." One of the entries will give a link to the X10 camera ads, and how to opt out from the X10 website.

I'm ready for my smiley - strawberries now.

Pop up ads?

Post 4

h2g2Support

It's certainly not a change of policy - we're not carrying any ads at all (if you ignore in-house ads, like the Peer Review banner ad smiley - smiley).

Mark

Pop up ads?

Post 5

Bah. Which is what I figured.

In that case, does any helpful tech-y type person know how I can exorcise my browser from whatever has got into it to make it spew up random advertising pop-ups on un-related sites?

Pop up ads?

Post 6

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

If you're the only person that uses your computer, explore your hard disc (i.e. right click on Start) until you find the folder called Cookies. It might be in Documents and Settings. Copy the folder and call it something else. Then select everything in the cookies folder and trash the lot.

Make sure you know your important passwords first - especially h2g2 smiley - smiley)

Pop up ads?

Post 7

Menza

You could also try turning off the java compilers for the web browser too. That would stop some of the pesky javascript popups that have nasty habit of recuring. But it would also disable lots of other things that are quite handy in websites.

Pop up ads?

Post 8

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

smiley - strawberriessmiley - strawberriessmiley - strawberries for Subcom Deidzoeb!

It's annoying that you have to go back and do it every 30 days, though....

smiley - kiss
Mikey

Pop up ads?

Post 9

*Sigh*

And now I discover it's infected Netscape as well as IE. Off to clear more cookies...

Funny how it shows a penchant for popping open on the h2g2 site though...

Key: Complain about this post