A Conversation for The Beatles 1971-1980

John

Post 1

James Casey

'Free as a bird' and 'Real love' can't be on; having been released by the group in the 1990s.

John

Post 2

Charles

Yeah, that really does run contrary to the spirit of the enterprise. I think a good starting point would be "Cold Turkey" and nothing by Ringo.

John

Post 3

Eeyore

My votes for the Lennon-inspired tracks would be:

Jealous Guy and Imagine (of course);
Whatever Gets You Through the Night;
JohnÕs cover of Ben E KingÕs Stand By Me;
and special dispensation to include a reworking of Working Class Hero (1970).

And, as itÕs all getting a bit slow, I think John might suggest Revolution 10 (closer to 1 than 9). smiley - smiley

John

Post 4

James Casey

Now what about 'Give Peace a Chance' (credited to Lennon/McCartney as a favour to Macca who'd been quite supportive about something - can't remember what) and 'Give me some truth'? The middle section in this was actually a McCartney tune which he suggested to John in the 'Let it be' sessions when Lennon mentioned 'Give me some truth'.

Lennon never credited it to McC, but it is a joint collaboration on the tune. But of course that doesn't mean it should get on for that reason alone! smiley - smiley

John

Post 5

Charles

I guess the question is what you would be trying to accomplish by compiling the songs. That is, what is your highest priority? Art? Social significance? Historical accuracy? "Give Peace a Chance" is a culturally significant song, but not a very good one. "Gimme Some Truth" is a great song, but not, strictly speaking (as you pointed out), a John Lennon solo piece. I would definitely second the nominations of "Jealous Guy" and "Imagine" and "Working Class Hero" and throw in "Watching the Wheels" for good measure.

John

Post 6

James Casey

I suppose the aim is to second-guess them and work out what they'd have put on.

Good to have had a vote for Watching the Wheels - possibly my favourite Lennon song. smiley - smiley

John

Post 7

Your Plastic Pal Who's Fun To Be With!

I agree with everyone's choices. I love "Watching the Wheels," but it always makes me sad when I hear it. "Frontline" on PBS did a documentary about Mark Chapman that said "Watching the Wheels" was the song he listened to right before he went to shoot J.L. I think that ruined it for me...

John

Post 8

Charles

Well, doesn't that just melt the ice cream.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more