A Conversation for Göttingen (under construction)

Umm...

Post 1

Cutlery, co-founding Freak and Patron Saint of Cutting Remarks ?¿

Before I try and help you, please clarify, for I am a Bear of Little Brain: Is this place fictitious?

Umm...

Post 2

violagirl

Nope it exists! It's a great little town (130,000 inhabitants as far as I know).

If there is going to be a section on the Uni you really should mention that there is a group of professors "The Göttingen Seven" who were all fired in the 1700s(?) sometime due to protesting about the removal of a democratic constitution from the area. Among them were the Grimm Brothers.

The Irish Pub is always worth seeing! (of course I work there, so I would say that).

If you want a list of good pubs/places to drink (v. important), I'd say, apart from the Irish Pub, there's Nautilus, Tanners, Clichy and Hemingway.

I can't think of any more info off the top of my head, but I'll search around the research project I had to do before I came here.

Umm...

Post 3

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

OK, I've done a little more researching and have added bits of what you just said. Thanks.....

Keep the info coming smiley - winkeye

Umm...

Post 4

Jimi X

LOL!

This is a great start. But could you explain for us dumb Yanks what Partner towns are? smiley - smiley

- X

Umm...

Post 5

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

Thanks

Partner town = twin town

And what that means I don't have the faintest idea smiley - smiley

Umm...

Post 6

Morgana

Twin towns? Well, you visit them, exchange students and telephone boxes (there is one from Cheltenham in front of the "Stadthalle" in Göttingen. By the way, next to the "Stadthalle" there is a little park called "Cheltenham Park". So people there are really proud of their twin towns).

I will add more later when my work is done.

Umm...

Post 7

Jimi X

Ah, so Carlisle Pennsylvania and Carlisle in England would be twin towns? There's a British pub in Carlisle Penna that has photos all over the walls of trips patrons have taken to the Carlisle in England. And they mayors have sent proclamations back-and-forth across the Atlantic.

I guess that is sort of the same thing?

smiley - smiley

Umm...

Post 8

violagirl

I think there is an official "twinning" process. It usually involves local politicians going to some foreign country, usually with better weather (might explain why so many Irish towns are twinned with towns in France??), getting free meals and drink, and when they come back they stick a little sign up outside the town saying "twinned with..." and that's the last you hear of it.

Key: Complain about this post