A Conversation for Aphrodisiacs or Other Things to Get You in the Mood

If music be the food of love

Post 1

Johnny Yen

It looks like no one else has decided to talk about music so here goes.
I don't know about anyone else but some of my faves are of the old fashioned variety, Can't help falling in love, Elvis, Blue Velvet, Bobby Vinton, Blue Moon.
A more modern tune would be Moments in Love by The Art of Noise. And for that I just want to be held and told that I'm loved, Stars by Dubstar (especially the acoustic vrsion)

Now I'm sure that out there there will be others with different tastes to me and that some club anthem might just work for them, or perhaps a tune like Venus In Furs by The Velvet Underground smiley - winkeye

Post 2

Unicorn

OK it's confession time

For me it has to be Alice Cooper. There's a couple of tracks of his which have quite an amazing effect on me!

Also Rain by The Cult(mainly for the fond memories)

One that really kills the mood for me is pretty much anything by Simply Red.

Post 3

Ioreth (on hiatus)

Background jazz... starbucks sells CDs of their background music, perfect.

Or you could try the modern approachsmiley - winkeye. There's a song by the Bloodhound Gang, Bad Touch. "You and me baby ain't nothin but mammals so let's do it like they do on the discovery channel..."

Post 4

Johnny Yen

But thats not very sutle though is it. If you want stuff like that then how about Armageddon It by Def Leppard (you'd have to hear it...)

Post 5

She Who Gratifies Gravity

I just bought two compilations of love songs by famous artists:
Miles Davis- more for wine and candlelight.
Louis Armstrong- more for a great dinner and a little dancing after.
I love them both! They've also got a Lena Horne collection, too, I believe. It makes it a lot easier to find specific types of songs with a collection like this. All of these artists have hundreds of CDs available that you would have to dig through. Here is a link to the website:
http://www.legacyrecordings.com

Post 6

Demon Drawer

Bon Jovi Always and a few other BJ tracks get played constantly when I'm in love or just broken up. smiley - smiley

Post 7

NIG

There is a cryptic passage in the original Hitchkicker's Guide when Athur is with Fenchurh (around chapter 25 in So Long and Thanks for all the Fish) where they listen to some Dire Straits music. The name of the song is never mentioned, but as far as I am concerned what works for me in the story and in real life for sure is the song called "Romeo and Juliet"...one of the greatest songs of all time.
Try putting it one next time you are with someone special, its on the album "Making Movies".
Suggestions or comments let's hear 'em!

Post 8

Maharishi

I don't really know about all your suggestions, since I haven't tried them, but what worked last time I had a girlfriend (sigh, so long ago) was lighting up some candles, some incense, and putting Ravels Bolero on the stereo. Oh my god, I'll never forget that night. We started looking deep into each others eyes and then.......SENSORED. sorry about that, Don't know what happened.
Anyway, Classical Music is always a hit, and for variations I can suggest acustic guitars collections, panpipe collections and for the gourmets a little touch of reggae.

Post 9

Johnny Yen

It's not music but i find it can help get a certain close thing gooing, the sound of rainfall outside. Ive not tried getting one of those natural sound cd with rain to try an artificial sound but real rain works well smiley - winkeye

Post 10

She Who Gratifies Gravity

My fiancee has a rule: we can never make love during a thunderstorm. He said he always saw a child of ours conceived from fire and renewal, pain and power, and like lightning in a thunderstorm, our love is such an awesome force as nature can only reproduce.

Post 11

BuskingBob

Got really similar with Carmina Birana many years ago. Its even more fun if you understand what its all about! Oh, and use the CD version - I used the vinyl version and turning the LP halfway through is a sod!

(if my lil sister is reading this, I'm making all this up!)

Post 12

Fluff Muncher

... I must be a trombone!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more