This is the Message Centre for Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Oxymorons...

Post 1

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Parents are damn oxymorons.

Last week and for most of my teenage years my parents have told me I don't drink enough (I mean in general, I dont'[ think they would condone alcoholism), today dad saw me getting some juice from the fridge and ask me if I was okay as I seemed to be drinking an awful lot...!smiley - erm

On Saturday my parents said I was working too hard and that I needed to relax, take a bit of time out and basically chill out as I never seemed to take time away from either studying or worry about what I still needed to do. I went through to the kitchen ten minutes ago to show mum I'd made up the start of another piece of embroidery (I don't read much, so recently have taken to stitching at night to relax) which could go into my folio. Anyhow I went in all proud that I'd made the frame and found the fabric extra only for mum to say I shouldn't bother starting it as I should be working as hard as I can on my portfolio stuff!!

What's the bloody point in listening to them if they're just going to change their mind as soon as I follow some of their advice! smiley - steam

Oxymorons...

Post 2

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Ah, that's just one of the things parents do. It's in the contract somewhere - 'At all times, the parents reserve the right to change their mind about absolutely anything, without prior notification or a particular reason. Furthermore, a parent is never wrong about anything, even when they change their mind.'

smiley - hug

Oxymorons...

Post 3

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Meaning therefore I should stop drinking and get told I'm gonna make myself sick and stop relaxing, therefore getting stressed again, therefore being told I'm going to make myself sick?

*thinks*

I should put this hammer away, one of them comes in and has a go I'll probably throw it at them.

Oxymorons...

Post 4

Number Six

Sometimes, the best thing to do with parents is just to put a great deal of distance between you and them.

Moving from Stafford to London sorted out my relationship with my Dad no end...

smiley - mod

Oxymorons...

Post 5

the most distance I can put between me and my parents is the other end of the house, I can't leave home, I can't go on holiday and I can't even go out anywhere because I don't have any money to go out.

I want to go on a proper holiday, away from everyone, down south or osmething, escape to London for a couple of weeks...a few days would do, come to think of it a few days in a cardboard box in Perth Highstreet would be a good enough holiday!

Oxymorons...

Post 6

Number Six

Although going for a walk used to work quite well for me.

This might cheer you up though... the funniest thing to happen at work today. This afternoon's Duty Editor at Sport 24 is Owen, a Geordie by birth and he has the accent to prove it. The phone just rang, and he answered "Hello, BBC Sport 24".

The woman on the other end said "Erm, hello, is that the Prince of Wales?"

Surreal. We're still not sure if she believed he was a public house or the heir to the throne...

smiley - mod

Oxymorons...

Post 7

smiley - laugh

Oxymorons...

Post 8

Clelba

smiley - laugh
have you informed your parents of their oxymoronity?
^. .^
= ' =
Guru
CommunityArtist

Oxymorons...

Post 9

I did and they just said "I know what we said..."

It's so frustrating I can never seem to do anything right, like the uni application, I said I didn't want to and that I should just go for the college one, they said no no do it or you'll regret it and then they were the ones who first mentioned withdrawing it!

Oxymorons...

Post 10

Clelba

mm smiley - erm
smiley - grr
^. .^
= ' =
Guru
CommunityArtist

Oxymorons...

Post 11

Uncle Heavy [sic]

you mean paradoxes.

Oxymorons...

Post 12

nice to see you tom, and nice to see you've not grown out of showing people upsmiley - tongueout

Oxymorons...

Post 13

Uncle Heavy [sic]

i do it with all my friends from college too. i just like exactitude smiley - smiley

Oxymorons...

Post 14

Number Six

Now why didn't I spot that? In the words of a song by Raymond McGinley, I hate verisimilitude...

smiley - mod

Oxymorons...

Post 15

Auw and there was me thinking you were just being a smart ar*e hunsmiley - tongueout

Oxymorons...

Post 16

Clelba

heh heh
^. .^
= ' =
Guru
CommunityArtist

Oxymorons...

Post 17

smiley - biggrin

Oxymorons...

Post 18

Number Six

*stalks off pretending to be in a huff*

smiley - winkeye

Oxymorons...

Post 19

*meant Toms the smart ar*e not Six smiley - winkeye*

Oxymorons...

Post 20

Uncle Heavy [sic]

thats pretty much my job description.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more