This is the Message Centre for Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

The highs and lows of the UCAS application...

Post 1

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

As most of my friends would tell you, they're really happy about UCAS, most of them have been accepted into the courses and universities they've wanted, five minutes ago Alice came online shouting and screaming "I GOT STIRLING I GOT STIRLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and this morning Sarah was shouting excitedly because she'd been offered a place at the uni she's been after. Grant even has an interview to the uni I'm wanting into.

Me on the other hand...I haven't even sent my form off yet.

My Guidance teacher - Mr Darby - kept delaying, saying "oh don't worry, it doesn't have to be in until January and there are other people it's more important to get sent off first" so now I've got all my forms filled out, my personal statement is written and Mr Darby even said it was the best he'd read and that I should get paid to help the other people in class. I've always known which uni's I planned to apply to (Dundee, Glasgow, and Edinburgh), I've filled in the bits about my name, age, family, criminal record or lack there of...

...in fact the only real problem areas are the fact that I don't know which courses to apply to (as you can't just apply to the first year general course everyone HAS to go through) and the fact that Mr Darby has only seen me once, for 15 minutes, about my reference, therefore (after using SOMEONE ELSES as a basis) he's still got to write about what I'm actually doing this year around my art classes!

Saying that I'm not starting to consider to back out would be a lie.

Every now and again I have a huge panic, ending up being in tears and screaming and shouting at my mum because I'm so uncertain about everything. I don't know what I really want to do. I can't see myself in the future. I haven't even managed to really work on my portfolio because, well, disheartened by the whole bloody process I've not had the heart to start because I haven't the heart to do it, bring my hopes up and then have them dashed because the uni I want doesn't want me until it's up to scratch.

I know I should do it. Corner my guidance teacher and get him to arrange a meeting. But I did try that. And he never turned up.

I know I should get on with my portfolio. But I don't have the confidence because the application hasn't gone off.

I think it comes down to not having the confidence. And being disheartened by the fact that I've given my all to the education system and all I've been given in return is a few fob offs.

smiley - wah

Post 2

The Rogue aka Phoniex

dont worry my bro was in a frenzy about ucas but he got in

Post 3

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

smiley - cuddle

Every time you see your teacher, remind him he's got to write your reference. If need be, go and see him every day - I'm sure he'll get the message soon enough. Kick up a bit of a fuss. It's not fair that your application is being delayed because he thinks other people are more important.

Start work on that portfolio *now*. Otherwise you really will run out of time. It may even help your confidence a bit, once you realise that you *can* do it.

smiley - cuddle

Post 4

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

I got sick of nagging months ago and know I should pick it up again, my heart's really just not in it now...and mum says we should make an appointement to see this woman about stuff before i had it in but I don't know hwat the hell me mum's on about.

as fo rthe portfolio...I know I should start it up, I've got stuff, but I think I need the push of sending away my form to get the confidence to start it...I need to do figurative drawings mostly and I don't wanna!!

smiley - wah

smiley - cuddle

Post 5

Your heart might not be in it at the moment, but don't you owe it to yourself to give yourself every possible chance? The sooner you get the form sent off, the sooner you'll be able to relax about it, and get on with your portfolio.

Try and see your Guidance teacher every day - hassle him!

smiley - cuddle

Post 6

I know, I just don't always see him, usually he comes into our regi class in the mornings and that;s the only time I see him during the day because I've got classes and I'm never in the other building.

but I know.

Post 7

So are you going to hassle him? Are you going to make him write your reference?

smiley - cuddle

Post 8

I guess as soon as mum's gotten this appointment sorted and I've chosen my coursessmiley - erm

Post 9

smiley - ok

What are the choices of courses?

Post 10

let's see...um...every single design course at Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee practically.

Post 11

smiley - yikes

So you're not short of options... How far have you got with narrowing them down?

Post 12

I haven't everytime I go onto my UCAS form I change them!

Post 13

Saint Patrick Patron Saint of Depression: Here to haunt your dreams and stalk your waking hours

smiley - smiley I know that feeeling.
Don't worry, it works out. I'm at york for crying out loud. i couldnt have predicted that for the world when i was filling in my form and im doing bloody history of all things smiley - cuddlesmiley - lovesmiley - kiss itll be ok dont stress. I know its easy to say, but i was going through it, all up to june last year.

Post 14

I think one of the biggest stressers in this situation is the fact that my frineds are all getting replies from all the uni's they've applied too and then asking me where I've got interviews for...I keep having to remind them it hasn't gone off!

Post 15

smiley - cuddle

Just keep working at it honey, you'll get through it

Post 16

Sergeant Mushroom

smiley - blackcat

Aw hunsmiley - sadface

*hugs*

UCAS was the most stressful thing I ever went through.

Post 17

smiley - hug

It's terrible! I've got to basically decide on the next four years of my life before the end of the month, and then I've basically been told by my peers (ie the art department) that I won't get in - despite being considered one of the best pupils of my year group - because they simply don't usually give out places to 6th year student! So where's the point!

Post 18

Saint Patrick Patron Saint of Depression: Here to haunt your dreams and stalk your waking hours

lol sadly smiley - cuddle

Post 19

smiley - cuddle

Post 20

Clelba

smiley - hug
so who do they offer places to if not 6th year students? smiley - huh
^. .^
= ' =
Gurus
CommunityArtists

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more