A Conversation for Mormonism - A Question and Answer Session

Urim and Thummim

Post 1

Lloyd

Who, or what, were (are?) Urim and Thummim?

Urim and Thummim

Post 2

Antithesis

"Hebrew words meaning Lights and Perfections. An instrument prepared of God to assist man in obtaining revelation from the Lord and in translating languages.. See Exodus 28:30, Leviticus 8:8, Numbers 27:21, Deut. 33:8, 1 Sam 28:6, Ezra 2:63, Nehemiah 7:65. Using a Urim and Thummim is the special prerogative of a seer, and it would seem reasonable that such instruments were used from the time of Adam. However, the earliest mention is in connection with the brother of Jared (Ether 3:21-28, Book of Mormon). Abraham used a Urim and Thummim, as did Aaron and the priests of Israel, and also the prophets among the Nephites (Book of Mormon). There is more than one Urim and Thummim, but we are informed that Joseph Smith had the one used by the Brother of Jared. Joseph Smith used it in translating the Book of Mormon and in obtaining other revelations."

Straight from the Mormon bible dictionary.

Urim and Thummim

Post 3

Shallow 15

The Urim and Thummim were blessed artifacts that Joseph Smith used to translate the Gold Plates from a dialect of Hebrew into English for the first edition of Book of Mormon.

While Joseph Smith was the chosen prophet, according to Mormon doctrine, the Urim and Thummim could supposedly be used by anyone blessed by God.

---The 5.5th Doctor

Urim and Thummim

Post 4

Matziq

From what I understand, the Urim & Thummum at one time or another were fastened to a breastplate during use.

Am I right or am I thinking of something else?

Thanks!
Matziq

Urim and Thummim

Post 5

wormrow

In Exodus 28:30 it says: And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim;

In this passage Moses is being told by the Lord to make special garments for Aaron.

Many other times the Urim and Thummim is mentioned in the scriptures as being in a breastplate. I assume that this breastplate is the same as mentioned in Exodus, and that it is passed on to the prophets of the church. Joseph Smith describes what he found in the Hill Cumorah in the introduction of the Book of Mormon as the sword of Laban, the breastplate and the stones as well as the plates (maybe other things as well - I'm not sure). I have read that the stones are used a little like glasses, I don't know if they are attached to the breastplate during use. Hope that answered your question!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more