A Conversation for The h2g2 Tour - An Introduction to h2g2

What is alternative?

Post 1

Bertie

We live in a very structured society here in the uk.
For many of us freedom comes from doing our own thing.
The question is, how many of us doing our "own thing" are simply creating other structures and strictures?
Being "alternative" i should be a vegetarian, live in a straw bale house(or similar) Think eco, recycle my rubbish, worry about the environment - naaah thats doing what everybody else does.
What is your alternative??

What is alternative?

Post 2

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Hello and welcome to h2g2 smiley - smiley

I have left you a message in your Personal Space, hopefully, it will help you find you way around our site smiley - biggrin

In the meantime, you can put your questions to <./>Askh2g2</.> or even <./>MiscChat</.>, where researchers will find answer you smiley - ok

lil xxx
smiley - magic

What is alternative?

Post 3

CrownedOne

is the aim to be alternative?

Surly the aim in life is to be happy, which often involves being different because you have to find your own way to do that.

So it may be imposible to be truly different but that isnt nessacarily a bad thing, is it?

What is alternative?

Post 4

Bertie

spot on.
School teaches us to compete, to "win," its so easy to foreget that happiness comes from being happy. Being happy comes from being content.
Being content comes from---- mmm ill get back to you.

What is alternative?

Post 5

Captain Jimi

Being alternative for me is changing what i did last week or last year, something that i am not happy with, in other words alternating previous conditions that do not apply to me anymore.
We all need structure in our lives, what is more to the point is how we fit in with everything, and change what we can to suit our needs.

What is alternative?

Post 6

Bertie

Youre quite right about structure, something we all need.
The problem with structure is that it in itself can become a need - classic example is autism.
(another question - how far of "autism" is the average person???)
Every few years or so i feel the need for a big change and by golly that happens.
I spend a lot of time with people with "far out lives" finding out their philosophies/attitudes/ideas, and by golly it does me the power of good as our way of life is not only too competative but has goals which are not really worth achieving even though we have been conned into thinking they are.

What is alternative?

Post 7

Captain Jimi

Know your limits, and if we occasionally over reach then, i suppose that is what experience is all about.
I think we all at one time or another we say why not me , i could do that.
Well i agree with old Rudyard
" If you can meet with triumph and disaster and treat those imposters just the same. Then yours is the earth, and everything in it, and - which is more - you will be a man, my son.

What is alternative?

Post 8

Bertie

nicely put

What is alternative?

Post 9

xdreasdatruthx

THEY WANT US ALL TO STAY BLIND>>>>>>>LET THOSE WHO HAVE EYES SEE!!!!!!!

What is alternative?

Post 10

Bertie

just remember - the wise man knows when to duck.

What is alternative?

Post 11

driver4084

well, if i exist now this means that i must have ancestors the go back all the way thru' victorian times, the middle ages, the norman conquests, the dark ages, pre-christian times and all the way back to the dawn of man. it fills me with awe therefore to think that during its journey my DNA has never had it so good. the levels of comfort, health care and awareness i experience are far in excess of anything my ancestors have enjoyed. should i be humbled or proud?

What is alternative?

Post 12

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Welcome to h2g2 Driver 4084,

I have left you a message in your Personal Space. Hopefully, it will help you find your way about Hootoo! smiley - ok

lil xx
smiley - magic

What is alternative?

Post 13

fLUXman

alternative is like thinking out of the box,
just be yourself whatever it may be,and forget about aping others,
we as an organism on earth now have been given tools and toys to make this conciousness one.
bo0om
fLUXman

What is alternative?

Post 14

johnesutton

Unfortunately, what you describe as that which you "should" be doing ("...be a vegetarian, live in a straw bale house, ...") is most emphatically NOT what everybody else is doing. And without proper political leadership, it is difficult to see how that can change. The nature of our political system and the character of our political discourse does not make me optimistic that such leadership will arise. So, what is the alternative? Dunno.

Key: Complain about this post