A Conversation for 'Les Miserables' by Victor Hugo

Sob sob

Post 1

Military Moose

After reading your entry i dashed off to reread my favourite book (of course this is les mis) and i can see what you mean. Have you sen the play?

Sob sob

Post 2

Alien

Which play?

Sob sob

Post 3

Military Moose

Les Miserables of course! I'm sorry - that was my fault it wasn't very clear!

Sob sob

Post 4

Alien

And neither was my post... smiley - winkeye Of course Les Mis but I wasn't quite sure which play you meant or if you possibly were talking about the musical or even the movies... But I'm probably just stupid... smiley - tongueout I haven't seen any plays as such but I've seen the musical three times and memorized all of the songs... smiley - winkeye

Sob sob

Post 5

Gavroche

Since almost every word is sung, and it contains a libretto, I think you could even appropriately call it an Opera. I think I've heard people refer to it as "Musical Theater" to differentiate it from musical motion pictures.

Boubil and Schonberg definitely did a great job.

I'd reread the novel myself, but I've just started Last Day of a Condemned, and after that I plan on reading Toilers of the Sea or Hans of Iceland. I've found a 10 volume set of Hugo's works in English from Ebay, and plan to read it all. I've even typed some of it in and put it on my personal website [url removed by moderator]

Sob sob

Post 6

Alien

I've only read Les Mis and Notre Dame by Hugo... Notre Dame was somewhat different from the Disney movie... smiley - winkeye

Sob sob

Post 7

Azelma

I love Les Mis the musical (and the novel of course!) The technical term for the play is a "lyric opera" rather than a musical or straight opera. I'm in the process of trying to work out the harmonies in "The End of The Day" for singing class.

Vive Les Misérables!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more