A Conversation for 'Spaceballs' - the Film

Quite possibly the worst movie I ever paid money to see

Post 1

Zico

And quite possibly, the only time I have EVER seen everybody walk out of the cinema at the same time. Granted, there were only six of us.

Post 2

D L H

I must admit I haven't paid to see any of Mel Brook's movies in the theater but I have enjoyed all of them on TV or video. They require a lot of work to catch many of the underlying references and many things are just displayed sometimes in the background. Much of the fun is watching the movies more than once (usually months apart)and looking for the subtle things that may have been missed the other times.

Post 3

Zico

I'm usually a big fan of Mel's films or I wouldn't have gone to see it. It's just that he went for the easy and not-very-funny jokes when he KNOWS he could have been far more subtle and subversive.

Post 4

Kubulai

Oh come on
the campfire scene in Blazing saddles is "subtle and subversive"?
or Putting on the RItz in Young Frankenstein
OK there are things going on all the time that you have to watch for and spaceballs is not his best but a lot of it is just plain stupidity. what makes me laugh mostly is that the producers and money men let him get away with purile humour (because the knew it would sell of course)

one of the best things in Young Frankenstein I never noticed until they mentioned it in the 25 anniversary show about it when Frau Blucher is asking if Froderick ~grin~ if he would like something to drink they move in perfect unison I must have seen it without "noticing".

maybe there isn't anything like that in SB I haven't really watched it that much, maybe I will now

Post 5

Caledonian

Haven't you ever seen "Batman and Robin"?

God, that was the worst movie of all time (literally, and I've seen some stinkers!).

[bows respectfully]

-Caledonian

Post 6

Kubulai

now there's subtle and subversive ~grin~

Post 7

Kubulai

as far as worst ever movies goes you are right B&R rates right up there. I think it's supposed to be bad though, the series was after all. OK it excells at it but I think there are movies that are far worse. have you ever seen Mystery science theatre 3000. finished now but they showed some real "monuments to corrupted endeavour" the best/worst (funniest) I saw was "Bikini women on spider island" but every one of them was worse than Batman & Robin

Post 8

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

Puttin on the Ritz in Young Frankenstein is actually Gene Wilder's idea.

Post 9

Kubulai

I think I remember hearing that (putting on the ritz was Gene wilders Idea) so maybe it was a bad example. but I think my point is still valid. perhaps the policeman (Kenneth Mars (Sp.))with an eye patch and a monacle on the same eye is a better example.

Post 10

Random Task

Have you seen Cave Dwellers? That may be the stinker of the millenium. MST3000 had a hay day with it.

Post 11

Kubulai

I only saw tha last series of MST but by far my favorite was "Bikini women on spider island"
of course there are movies that are SO bad even the MST team can't make them interesting

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more